VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a vw t4 1.9td and have had problems with the wipers carrying on going when i turned the ignition key off and take the key out i was told to look at relay 99 secound from the left i did this looked clean and fine. so carryed on driving the van for a few days with this fault.

PROBLEMS REALLY BEGIN
went to start the van and it was just clicking! opened up fuse box and put me hand on the relay 99 and it was clicking like mad. i thought ah ha this must be the fault went everywhere then trying to get the correct relay found out they were £35 plus vat in euro parts gfs dont stock them and could'nt give me a price. so my questions does it sound that it is definatly this relay as they cost alot! and also where can i get one cheep???
what does the relay 99 do?
i am borrowing my sisters car but i need the van to be running to get her to hospital!:*

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If the relay is clicking, then it must be getting a rogue voltage to the coil if the ignition is turned off.

Personally try pulling the fuses one by one & see when the relay stops clicking, crude diagnoses, but you might be lucky...

Good luck with the little one T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
relay 99 should not affect the starting at all chap.

relay 99 is a programmable intermittent wiper relay, it can be replaced with the same off ebay or a nr 19 which are about 2 quid on ebay just to get you going.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had relay 109 clicking and van would just cut out on occasion ie when the relay contact would not hold. Not sure what 99 does exactly, is it definately that one that is clicking? To get me going as a temporary fix I prised the plastic cover off the suspect relay saw the "chattering" contact and wedged in the thin end of a match to hold it shut. Sorted till I could get a new one! Can't recommend it but that is what I did. I:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yes, 99 is the wiper control relay. If the van won't start I doubt it is anything to do with this, sounds more like an intermittent supply problem. Very difficult to pinpoint without seeing the van. I don't think your van has relay 109, did you say it was 1.9?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have gone throught the relays and there all in right positions as of the imformation on a previous post except i only have basic electrics so some are missing eg fog lights ect.
99 is only of wipers and water but it is this relay that is clicking when trying to start.
yes shes a 1.9td 2001 on a y plate!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, 99 is the wiper control relay. If the van won't start I doubt it is anything to do with this, sounds more like an intermittent supply problem. Very difficult to pinpoint without seeing the van. I don't think your van has relay 109, did you say it was 1.9?
dude i wish you lived near me and could look at it!

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Don't worry, somebody local will come along and help. Have faithT:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Good Ol Vwdubs hey !! I had a problem with my Pug 306 d turbo it was clicking when I tried to start it. The cure was a bad earth maybe worth a try, have a look at the earth straps pull them off and clean them make sure they are all in tact.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on dude !:ILU:

·
Registered
809 Posts
My Guess is you have two faults :eek: Is the van totally dead apart from the clicking of relay 99? Does the starter engage at all? Are the starter solenoid leads/earth clean etc? Does it start with relay 99 removed?

Just some thoughts, I am sure some guru on here wil nail it for you soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
There is no starter relay, I think you need to drop the fuse box down and check for loose connections at the back.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok me and a freind are going to hit get it started some how tomorrow he has good knowledge so hope for the best!
will let you know if i crack this one. talking on the phone he thinks it could be a number of things

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes! your right i have two faults one is solved :)that is it was a simple very flat battery and it was relay 104 that was clicking as it did'nt have the power to start!

there is a fault with the electrics where by when i turn off ignition wipers are still operable and live.
also the heaters are. and the fog light led on the light turn is on perminantly. what is the problem with these???

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just sorted out my problem by removing fuse for the fog lights now rear fog light does not work but my wipers go off when they should and my heaters also can somone explain how this has happened and how i can get my rear fog to not affect everthing else?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
This could be a fault in the wiring loom to the rear of the van. Have you done any panelling recently? A screw through the loom maybe? Or a fault in the light switch. Try putting the fuse back in and disconnecting the light switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts