VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being a complete lay-person on this I may be way off but I thought one couln't just fly around anywhere? I know it's the air but don't flights and flight paths need to be authorised or at least told to someone sat at a desk with an ear-piece??? Especially over urban areas?

It's just that there was a little happening at my kids school t'other day and I want to see if it's worth making a fuss; out of the blue (literally) a private helicopter swoops down and starts hovering over the roof of the school, not the playing fields or the playgound mind but over the actual building. The teachers didn't know anything about it so it was not something arranged with the school and it made the windows rattle in their frames and the desks and chairs vibrate on the floor. The little children in reception all started crying and some children outside got very frightened and ran indoors (a couple even fell over). When the teachers went out to investigate it turned out to be the tosser fiancee of one of the dippy teachers in the school who then giggled and waved and the heli didn't land but then just flew off again.

Now I'm thinking that sounds like it was too close and potentially a hazard; not least of all as it's an old building (loose tiles etc) and it's a school full of kids....why would any pilot hover over it?

Is this legal (it certainly didn't sound safe) and who do I contact to find out who the pilot or owner was (assuming all flights have to be logged), or just to register a complaint? Who does one contact? Civil Aviation Authority etc?

If the aircraft was chartered by an experienced pilot who was just doing a fly-by for a passenger then this is bad enough, but a stunt like that sounds more like a rich boy showing off his toy....which shouts novice pilot (and not informing the school first says arrogance and that is not a desirable quality for a pilot!).

Grateful for any advice or opinions (I know at least two or three pilots on here but can't recall usernames at moment but anyone, flyer or not, with some knowledge on these laws would be great, cheers).:ILU:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Don't know about the school situation, but if you own land, i.e a house, then that includes the air space above it, and the ground under it (hence the issues with water companies not fixing leaks beyond the pavement)...

Since the expansion of Farnborough Airport, we've found ourselves living under one of their flight paths, nothing we can do about because it is an established one used by RAF Odiham (meaning Chinooks :eek:)...

Because we live on top of a hill, they fly quite low...

What an **** though - flying that low to flighten the kiddies...

·
Registered
533 Posts
When in uncontrolled airspace, ie. not under air traffic control, the rule is 500ft slant height.

Essentially that means 500ft from the nearest object be that a fence, a house, a sheep, a school, whatever. Not 500ft vertical, 500ft away in a straight line.

If you can read the reg which should be G-xxxx for UK or N-xxxx for a US registered aircraft as a rule of thumb for a fixed wing it is too low.

Ring the nearest airport and ask for ATC. Give them the reg, they will look into it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I should probably add that in uncontrolled airspace you can go where you like and do what you like within reason, whithin the rules.

A fixed wing would definitely be 1500ft above ground level legally, a helicopter would be 500ft as the minimum in any sort of built up area. The 500ft slant rule applies where you cannot distinguish a built up area, so flying over fields for example.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sounds like he is in deep sh!te if reported.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks guys, this is a great response, I'm off to check out those links right now!T:T:T:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I live over the hill from an RAF training range, we get all sorts of stuff flying down to 50ft, not 500!
The Eurofighter is a right :*, I suppose it's an advantage in battle to not make much noise on approach to a target but when you're the poor sod on the ground just getting on with your own business & they buzz you it aint nice!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I live over the hill from an RAF training range, we get all sorts of stuff flying down to 50ft, not 500!
The Eurofighter is a right :*, I suppose it's an advantage in battle to not make much noise on approach to a target but when you're the poor sod on the ground just getting on with your own business & they buzz you it aint nice!
The military have dispensation from the normal low fly rules in certain area's so they are operating legitimately provide they are in those zones.

All jet aircraft make little noise when approaching you due to the noise makers ie. engines pointing away from you!

They have to train somewhere to learn their trade and more importantly maintain currency/proficiency, just enjoy the show most people have to pay to see such displays! T:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just enjoy the show most people have to pay to see such displays! T:
Quite right: helicopers over schools = bad, several million quids worth of jet ripping across the plains out of nowhere = cool. I always feel a bit envious that the pilot knows they have a better job than anyone else................................until they get called up I suppose!:(

Grew up near RAF Lyneham and we always used to get the Hurcules flying over in formation, up to six at a time. Don't know how low but you could make out the pilots in the windows when they banked. Used to love it, especially at night when you could hear the props from miles away and it would get louder and louder until it would reach a creshendo as they went right over and you could feel yer rib cage vibrate........felt a bit like Wayne and Garth lying on the car roof under the landing strip!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Quite right: helicopers over schools = bad, several million quids worth of jet ripping across the plains out of nowhere = cool. I always feel a bit envious that the pilot knows they have a better job than anyone else................................until they get called up I suppose!:(
The Helo over school = illegal and putting others at risk = bad yes.

Fast jet in low fly zone = cool and necessary evil.

Doing the job for real is the best bit of their job! It's what 90% of them join for.

I just love aircraft and flying em so all flying is cool unless illegal or putting others at risk

·
Registered
121 Posts
i know that also electricity companys also have dispensation to fly low but all other aircraft should be high enought that you cannot read there reg no's if you can then they can be reported! unless they where coming in to land but unless they touch the ground and have authority to from air traffic control then can be reported!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Authority from ATC is not required to land unless landing at an airfield with ATC.
Reading reg number is hardly proof of height.

Exemptions from Rule 5 (low flying rules) can be applied for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts