VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Assistance required from anybody who has a RIB Altair Seat/bed fitted to their T5 please.

What I would like is for some kind soul to measure the dimensions of the base frame of the RIB please.

Basically I assume that the base frame is a rectangle that the RIB's seats are attached to, so I would like the following dimensions:

Width: (i.e. length of steel frame between nearside wheel arch and what ever furniture is on off side of van).

Depth: ( Front to back depth of frame )

Height: ( How high does the frame go upwards)

Just to explain why I need these measurements:
I'm at that stage of my conversion where I'm carpeting the interior and I was planning on not bothering with the nearside wheel arch as I was going to use the ply box supplied with the ply lining kit I have. Thinking behind this was I could pump it full of expanding foam to help in noise reduction and also it would be a lot easier to carpet than the wheel arch.

I'm just concerned that if I follow this path using the "ply box in method" that when I go to get my ordered (from Kiravans) RIB fitted it won't due to the ply box reducing the width and increasing the height for the seats frame.

cheers Glitch.

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Our van has a box around the NS wheel arch but I keep the jack and some emergency tools/first aid in there. The arch does have a thin piece of fibrous mat bonded to it. Its really quiet anyway. If it was noisy then I'd jam one of my mucky MTB ride towels in there for good measure.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
you wont get a ply box around the wheel arch

the nuts for the back rest almost touch the carpet
ill go and measure up for ya

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you wont get a ply box around the wheel arch

the nuts for the back rest almost touch the carpet
ill go and measure up for ya
Thanks appreciated :ILU:

cheers Glitch

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
right
ive took a load o photos that should help you out,the 1st one is all you need you will see what im on about,the rest are just general shots and positioning of the seat

also note how close they are fitted to the side c pillar ,when the seat is pulled past the c pillar ie making it into a bed it almost touches so dont ply the c pillar just carpet it
actually ill go and take a photo of what im on about so you dont c0ck it up

hope these are here!!!!!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
and some more,remember the rib bolts through the chassis ,the holes are in the chassis you just drill the floor so this is the only possition that the seat will go in so be very carefull

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ISS,

Your a scholar & a gentleman sir, these are just what I needed.

Of course this has now caused me some extra work as I was going to ply over the C Pillar, the ply panel has even been carpeted in preparation...bugger ! Looks like I will be stripping back the carpet from the panel just enough to cut it back down to the same size as the original..oh hum.

Also my carpeting on the inside of the C pillar isn't very good , so will have to sort to something there me thinks.

Looks like I won't be boxing in the wheel arch then, thats not going to be a problem though and thinking about it I suppose the bed sits over the majority of it and that means the arch isn't seen much (don't have to be too fussy about the carpeting finish) and also the RIB seat/bed muffles any roads noise I would hope.

Once again thanks very much, saved my a wasted trip I suspect when I go to have the RIB fitted (not brave enough to drill my floor) next month.....hopefullyI:.

cheers Glitch

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£2K on a bed. Bit OTT surely ?
Not if you want be able to carry passengers and still have insurance cover it's not, anybody who wants to chance it using something made out of plywood etc and has not been properly tested is chancing it as far as I can see.

No point finding out afterwards that the insurance company is going to wash it's hands of that claim from one of your injured passengers after an accident and negate that cover.....I want to hold onto my house, I worked hard for it.

You pays your money and makes your choice.:)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Have been playing devils advocate really as I like the way these R&R beds work.
I would prefer to get this but its more than my van cost me !
It seems the best option as is a great bed (nice & flat, minor section breaks) and a great seat for travelling in.
It seems you have to compromise with all of the other options; either its a good flat bed & a seat to travel any distance on OR its a nicely contoured seat but a nightmare to sleep on.

The RIB seems the best of both worlds, with the price tag to match.

(First VW van owned for about 10 days now so very much a rookie at this, despite many years of driving)
I thought that there were R&R beds out there for ~£500 that would be primarily best at beds (so not too concerned about lack of contours for use as a travelling seat) but also sound seatbelts.

I won't be using the seat / seatbelts and don't have kids so is just for the odd occasion a Mate jumps in so not too worried about comfort, but don't really want their head sliced off in an accident by a crappy seat belt !

Are you guys saying that most R&R beds that have seatbelts are basically death traps & don't have any official status in terms of the reliability of the seats / seat belts ?
How do you know which have been tested and / or meet the relevant regulations ? (which are...?)

Do you have any other (more economical) suggestions other than the Rib ?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you guys saying that most R&R beds that have seatbelts are basically death traps & don't have any official status in terms of the reliability of the seats / seat belts ?
How do you know which have been tested and / or meet the relevant regulations ? (which are...?)
Cheers guys.
To my knowledge (and please anybody jump in to correct me on this) based on my research there is only 2 companies producing seat/bed systems that have been crashed tested to a recognised European standard (TUV), and perversely (considering how on the continent the DIY conversion market is virtually non-existent) they are French & German based. These are Scopema (RIB) and Reimo (Variotech).

I strongly suspect that it has cost these companies (and remember these are small operations when compared to the bigger picture of vehicle manufacturers) a lot of money upfront to put their seat/Bed systems through the TUV testing process, this is in-turn built into the retail cost so they can recoup their initial outlay.

Also remember that their seats/bed systems are available for other vehicles other than the VW vans and the way I understand the rules each variant will have to be put through the testing process individually even though the changes to the design would be minimal between different vehicles, again this will drive up the unit individual costs.

This issue does appear to have been discussed previously on the forum here in relation to how using non "tested" seats stand in regard to MOT: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32226.

I don't think it is as cut and dried as it would first appear but if (and it's a big IF) you were ever to suffer the misfortune to have an accident whilst carrying a passenger and it resulted in a court case as a result of them suffering injuries and lodging a claim against your insurance company, I think you would stand a stronger case to support your defence if the seat/bed had some form of European Test certification and was fitted by an approved manufacturers agent.

I suppose at the end of the day if your insurance company has been informed of what has been fitted to the van and they have acknowledged it, then they have accepted the risk and you are covered.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Slightly off topic but in the uk at the moment we are going through legislation changes for vehicle converters. Within the next couple of years all converters will have to conform to EU safety standards known as type approval, this includes having a quality system in place and I think the use of safety tested seating amongst other things. We at work will recieve a new chassis but with only half the chassis number, only when the conversion has been completed and the relevant paper work and inspections done will we be issued with the other half of the chassis number for tax and insurance purposes. From the chassis number the ministry will be able to identify the converter and model number or type. This as far as I know applies to any business converting new vehicles of any number, previously type approval was only relevent for bussinesses producing over a certain number of vehicles per year. Type approved seating should not be enforced retrospectively and to begin with converting a second hand van that already has a chassis number should be ok unless a keen eyed MOT tester spots the van does not correspond to what the chassis number tells him it should be. I guess a number of converters are going to have their work cut out in the next few years if they want to keep going. If anyone knows any more or points I may have misinteroreted feel free to me straight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi we just had our t5 back from vw interiors, with a rib bed fitted, as yourself we wanted it for safety for our daughter and her friend who sit in the back. Also you get a lot more storage space compared to a rock'n'roll bed. you can find piccies on this link
http://www.vw-interiors.co.uk/
Cheers Mrs Tim.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
If its any help to you, I recently installed my own RIB. Its pretty straightforward to get the position right as you want it tight enough up to the n/s wall so you can still access the levers but not so far away that you could lose a small child down the side. You'll probably find that if you get the steel frame up tight to the wheel arch, its good to go. Same applies to getting the head end up tight to the rear door

If you are fitting the seat over a ply floor then the nuts on the frame should just miss the top of the wheel arch, but I secured mine onto the original rubber flooring which means that when you tighten the bolts up, it pulls the frame tight to the floor and the nuts can foul the wheelarch. To get over that problem I did a little bit of gentle panel beating with a rounded piece of timber and a hammer, just where the nuts touch the arch . It sounds dodgy, but I assure you, if you take your time it will not be traumatic.

Don't know if you are aware, but I didn't find out until I got my RIB, that the seat height is quite high and unless you have long legs, you may find your feet don't quite touch the floor when sat back in the seat. Bolting direct to the floor rather than to a ply floor shortens the seat by about 25mm, so makes it a little more comfortable for us short houses.

BTW, carpeting the wheel arch is pretty straightforward. Just start at the middle and work outwards stretching, as you go. Hairdryer is highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We can do a basic RIB Altair for well under £2K. If I can be of any help RIB wise, give us a shout.

... If 2 or 3 of you guys got together then I could do a super special deal! T:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts