VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I got a seized 18mm bolt on my rear o/s calliper carrier,ive been quoted £84-50 + vat from vw for a new carrier or £1.30 + vat for just a bolt.
Ok ive soursed the materials but how the hell am i going to get this bolt out ???
Ive had a rattle gun on it and its now rounded off the head @*%$

Its looking like ive got to cut off the discs and have a go at drilling it out from this side, anybody dont this before ???

All advice considered T:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good luck mate, soak it in wd40 and try some multi hex imperial sockets on it before you cut it or drill it off.

I'm going to make some more sliding pins for these carriers as you cant get them too easily here in the UK. It seems to be an issue, vw just want to sell you the whole carrier. In Finland I bought some sliders for 18euros for a volvo s40. Same calipers.
On wed we machined a set from stainless for my MOT.
Is that why you are removing it are they seized??

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Hey Trev.. Same happend to me mate.. Bit the bullet and bought the whole carrier, you may be a bit more pacient than me though I:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck mate, soak it in wd40 and try some multi hex imperial sockets on it before you cut it or drill it off.

I'm going to make some more sliding pins for these carriers as you cant get them too easily here in the UK. It seems to be an issue, vw just want to sell you the whole carrier. In Finland I bought some sliders for 18euros for a volvo s40. Same calipers.
On wed we machined a set from stainless for my MOT.
Is that why you are removing it are they seized??

Hi
Just wanted to change pads then realised o/s disc was no good.So now going for new discs too.Need this bolt out to be able to get disc off.I have removed the top bolt.

Cheers Kieran
May well be going that route too,still need to remove the bolt though which ever way i go.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,953 Posts
Get the carrier off by cutting the head off, centre punch it and drill it with a left handed cobalt drill bit. Works well in my head and in theory it should work provide the bolt isnt hardened.

Good luck Trev :ILU:

·
Registered
636 Posts
get some heat on the carrier not the bolt and hey presto it will slacken, if the heads not too round

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the carrier off by cutting the head off, centre punch it and drill it with a left handed cobalt drill bit. Works well in my head and in theory it should work provide the bolt isnt hardened.

Good luck Trev :ILU:
Think the bolts are hardened Jimmy :(

Having said that,i have rounded the head :confused:

Cheers T:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get some heat on the carrier not the bolt and hey presto it will slacken, if the heads not too round
Going to need oxy etc for that sort of heat i should think !!

Hey presto lol you make it sound sooo easy I:

Cheers will give it a try T:

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had rercent problems with my brakes. Caliper has seazed and Disc are wrecked. Managed to get the Carrier, disc etc off but the Part supplier delivered the caliper for the wrong side!!! Can't get another till Monday lunchtime, which leaves me Vanless for the weekend!!!

I share your frustration, Bud.

Guy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Going to need oxy etc for that sort of heat i should think !!

Hey presto lol you make it sound sooo easy I:

Cheers will give it a try T:
Hey mate, Where are you in Nor?? Anywhere near Tacolneston?? My uncle may be able to do it for you if he is free.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey mate, Where are you in Nor?? Anywhere near Tacolneston?? My uncle may be able to do it for you if he is free.
Hi
Thats about 30 ml from me. Straight through the city would be the shortest route,i wouldnt be able to drive that distance with the brakes as they are.Thanks for the thought though T:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update guys/gals.
My man that does cut the head off the bolt with a 4" disc cutter,pulled the carrier and disc off and was then able to wind out the bolt with mole grips.
He's just put all the new bits on the o/s and is then going to start the other side,fingers crossed.

But for now i only need a bolt whoopie £1.30 + vat

Will be more beer vouchers for him then T:

Hooray for men that do !! A:A:A:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How lucky have i been,all done and dusted all bar one bolt :D

Roll on monday to get it ordered :)

Cheers for your coments/support guys T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts