VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an issue with the calliper or pads rattling on my near side rear brake. I’m not sure if there’s too much float in the calliper or if the springs retaining the pad are not doing their job properly. video here for reference

Any one had any experience with this problem?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is that after pressing the brake pedal to bring everything up close?
Are the sliding caliper mounting pins moving too loosely? They should only allow movement along the length not wiggle/twist sideways.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No that’s having not applied the brake, which does bring it closer temporarily but the rattle returns when not braking. I don’t think there’s any twist but there’s definitely a lot more movement than the other side of the vehicle. Are the pins replaceable?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think it's rare for the pins to wear, they are usually a hard steel.
I'm not too sure on these exact caliper mounting brackets but I've seen others in the past where the hole wears that the slider goes into.
On some I recall a plastic/nylon sleeve inside the recess (on the bracket).
I've no idea if these can be replaced or if you'd need a new caliper mounting bracket.

Is it possible to swap only the mounting bracket over from the other side and see if that helps pinpoint it?

Some brackets aren't sided so they can be bolted onto either o/s or n/s

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same last week, whip the pads out, tension the clips the pad sits in by giving them a squeeze and put some copper slip on the back of the pad and bolt It all back together. That should sort the problem out for you 👍🏻

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same last week, whip the pads out, tension the clips the pad sits in by giving them a squeeze and put some copper slip on the back of the pad and bolt It all back together. That should sort the problem out for you 👍🏻
Will try this first as it seems an easy fix!
Thanks @Jon1977, will try that if the other solution doesn't work. Cheers for your help guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are taking the pads out I would get someone to press the brake pedal slowly make sure the piston boot is not torn and to see that the piston is moving freely.

Seems to me the brake is self adjusting for brake pad wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts