VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to do some more of the Islands next year. Outer Hebrides ideally.

My question is are the tickets for Island Hopping a good idea? Once purchased can anyone tell me how difficult/easy it is to get the most convenient sailings? Or would I be better off just buying the route as and when I find myself in the right place?

I'm thinking of doing this around end of May next year.

Anyone else purchased one of those multi route tickets and did you manage to use it all up/get value for money?

cheers

Eileen

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
We did it a couple of years ago at Christmas. We tipped up and bought a ticket to where ever we fancied going and it cost a bloody fortune!

Next time I'd plan a route and save a lot of money. However I don't think they are that fussed about when you get on, on the shorter crossings I'm sure it cost them more to bring the boat over to us empty and back again with only us on it but they seemed happy enough. The only one we had to wait for was from Arran, which was rammed but also the biggest ferry.

Was a great way to spend a weeks holiday over christmas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the outer Hebrides last year in May,I did'nt do island hopping and it did cost a bit but it gave me more freedom.am thinking of going again this year at around the same time.have looked into the hopping tickets,and even with one you still have to book ,you will be taking a chance just turning up at this time of year. I did it last year and got lucky once from Uig to Tarbet,when I just turned up for Stornoway to Ullapool they looked at me like I was nuts!!! I got stuck for two days,it wasn't a problem as Lewis and Harris is amazing but it did eat into the rest of my tour.If you get there for May keep your eyes out for a mid top white t5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts