VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a trustworthy, competent mechanic/garage to change the cam belt on a 2.5 Diesel. Also want the water pump and the belt at the other end of the engine changing. Engine has done 180,000- would it be wise to change the crank shaft pulley/balancer as well?

Have only just bought the van and don't know its history.

I live in Warwick (8 miles from Coventry) and would be happy to travel up to 50 miles or so if necessary. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Many thanks - Terry

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
A tip is dont take it to any old garage the TDI timing needs to be checked with VAGCOM or VW service tool software or else it could be way off the mark after having the belts replaced.I have lost count of how many 2.5TDI T4s' that i have had to put right after the belst have been replaced by any old garages.

·
Registered
305 Posts
garage near me in northampton is good new duston garage , mate of mine works there and there very good , dont know if there cheap but good can get number if you wish

·
Registered
147 Posts
listers van centre in coventry - longford area
great work
decent price
fantastic customer care
speak to Grant Keegan for advice/quote in the service dept

Spencer

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Cordwallis at Maidenhead, They are VW commercial dealers and Dazboi ( on here) is service manager. Talk with him, tell him you are a forum member and he will sort a decent workshop rate and parts prices. His techies know their stuff too. T:
There are a few of us in the "greater" midlands who use them. I'm more than happy to use £30 of diesel to get there and back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All
Thanks for the info. Looks as if Coventry VW Van centre will be at the top of the list - only 8 miles away. (Chris (conspiracy) recommended you Aggie but a round trip of over 500 miles seemed a bit extreme & would the cam belt make it that far??).

I'm still unsure as to whether to replace the crank shaft pulley/balancer as well. Don't know how often they fail and what effect they have on the engine when they go. I'm sure that at 180,000 something must be getting worn out?

Terry

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The harmonic balancer is something that should be looked at when doing a cam belt change as well as a number of other things. I wouldn't just replace it if it was OK. At 180,000 miles it may have already been replaced.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'd recomend Cordwallis at Maidenhead too, other than the fact its in Maidenhead; the only town in England with less to do than Telford.
Seriously they are good, and the amount I was charged made it way cheaper (even with the extra fuel) than my local VW had quoted. Really good to deal with as well, its unusal to find businesses nowadays with integrity and proper customer care; Dazboi's a bit wierd like, and makes poo tea but other than that its all T:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts