VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van is 2.5tdi 1998 LWB. nearly 140,000

Story:

My van broked down end of last week on the way to work.
Its not far between home and work (Bristol to bath uni, 10miles or so) but with a steep incline near the end of the journey.

So I had just come up the hill, turned off the main road into the entrance to the car park when something sounded like it snapped.
The van died and slowly came to a halt.
I tried to turn it back over, it tried to turn but then stopped.
Next turn of the key just resulted in a click, wouldn't even turn over.
So called recovery and got recovered back to bristol, to a garage that I've used a few times before (normally good).

They have only just had a look at it, and phoned to tell me the bad news that my cam belt had snapped!!! :eek: :(

So basically they have just given me some options and I wanted to get some opinions from people off hear.

They have said :

1. try and replace cam belt, and see if it runs ok? £200 odd

2. Take the head off, skim valves etc, replace cam belt, tensionsers. £1000 +

Bear in mind I've had the van for less than a year, and bought because it had already had the cam belt, water pump, tensioners changed in late 2009 and hadn't done that many miles since it was changed. (have reciepts to prove it)

I'm gutted as do not have that sort of cash at the mo, need to get to work everyday and am off to thailand at the end of feb!

So what would you lot do???

HELP :confused:

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I would check your paper work for the belt change. It shouldn't snap after 2 years, Vw give 2 years warranty on there parts and 2 years warranty on the labour if fitted by them!

Unfortunatley if you get no joy, it's almost certain that the valves and pistons have met:( and will cost a few quid!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Van is 2.5tdi 1998 LWB. nearly 140,000

Story:

My van broked down end of last week on the way to work.
Its not far between home and work (Bristol to bath uni, 10miles or so) but with a steep incline near the end of the journey.

So I had just come up the hill, turned off the main road into the entrance to the car park when something sounded like it snapped.
The van died and slowly came to a halt.
I tried to turn it back over, it tried to turn but then stopped.
Next turn of the key just resulted in a click, wouldn't even turn over.
So called recovery and got recovered back to bristol, to a garage that I've used a few times before (normally good).

They have only just had a look at it, and phoned to tell me the bad news that my cam belt had snapped!!! :eek: :(

So basically they have just given me some options and I wanted to get some opinions from people off hear.

They have said :

1. try and replace cam belt, and see if it runs ok? £200 odd

2. Take the head off, skim valves etc, replace cam belt, tensionsers. £1000 +

Bear in mind I've had the van for less than a year, and bought because it had already had the cam belt, water pump, tensioners changed in late 2009 and hadn't done that many miles since it was changed. (have reciepts to prove it)

I'm gutted as do not have that sort of cash at the mo, need to get to work everyday and am off to thailand at the end of feb!

So what would you lot do???

HELP :confused:

Steve
just done mine and it cost about 750 for all and i done it my self

·
Registered
108 Posts
when you tried to turn it over was there no banging or a clatter? , not sure on the TDI ones but have a look at the water pump is not seized thats what could of snapped your belt

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you tried to turn it over was there no banging or a clatter? , not sure on the TDI ones but have a look at the water pump is not seized thats what could of snapped your belt
Oh there was a bit of clatter first turn, then would only click as if something was jammed on the next turn of the key.

But this doesn't really matter as it still snapped and would of still bugfgered the valves etc wouldn't it???

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check your paper work for the belt change. It shouldn't snap after 2 years, Vw give 2 years warranty on there parts and 2 years warranty on the labour if fitted by them!

Unfortunatley if you get no joy, it's almost certain that the valves and pistons have met:( and will cost a few quid!
It wasn't done by VW but a local garage, but I will phone them when I get home to check.

Cheers

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts