VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for some advice…

I've just changed the cam belt and injection belts and the van runs fine, but the cam belt tension seems to have changed- the tension has increased so the bottom edges of the pointers no longer align. It looks like the pointer tip is now just past the bottom edge of the tensioner.

Do I need to redo the tension- what do you think, or can I run it like this and maybe change it again next year?

I'm obviously worried about the belt or tensioner going.

When I did the cam belt tension all was fine and I turned the crank loads of times to make sure. The glow plugs were out- does this make a difference?

Can I alter the tension without taking it all apart and leave the injection belt side alone?

Thanks very much

Great forum, lots of useful info!

Robin

·
Registered
203 Posts
The tensioner just takes up the slack on the "non important" side of things.
It will be ok to just re~adjust the tensioner until it points to the correct mark.
The tensioner is what it says on the tin. It just keeps the belt at the correct tension.
The timing is at the other side of the pulleys. As long as it's running OK you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
the tension has increased so the bottom edges of the pointers no longer align. It looks like the pointer tip is now just past the bottom edge of the tensioner.
I am not quite clear on what you mean, however if you need to turn the tensioner back [anticlockwise], it must be fully released, reset to the correct position & then tightened to 20Nm. " You must not turn the eccentric back by purely the amount it has been turned too far".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts