VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've got a 51 plate 2.5 tdi, Ex AA. In the last two months I've had the Cam belt and water pump changed, Aux belt and tensioner with pulley and a new Alternator.

After the aux belt and tensioner were changed the engine was a lot quieter. I had a slight tap which went when the alternator was replaced. I've since drive about 600 miles over two weeks and now there is a loud tapping noise. The noise sounded similar to that before the aux belt was changed so I took it back to the garage.

The mechanic listened to the engine etc and said it was coming from inside the engine and that it was a cam follower.

When I got it home I had a friend have a listen who said to pump the breaks, the noise went quieter. He then said it was the vac pump. Having looked at the threads on here there are different opinions on what to do.

Should I ignore the Cam follower info? How much is it likely to cost to get the small rod changed, the garage charges per hour?

Thanks in advance!

VPJB

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi i dont think you can change rod without removing pump, so they might want to replace both

·
Registered
53 Posts
Changing just the rod prob won't fix it.

I got a new pump from fleabay (transitparts I think he was called) for about £70 quid - Still going 25K miles later.

You WILL need a crowsfoot attachment to get the bottom bolt off and back on again when fitting the new pump. Also if it is difficult to refit try turnng the engine by hand to get the pump 'off cam'. Watch out for oil in the eye when removing the original pump!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you turn the engine to TDC, this will take the tension off the spring in the vacuum pump making it much easier to replace.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi changing my vac pump did the transitparts pump come with new rod read some posts where vw have repalced pushrod to shorter version help please anyone else used these thanksT:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi

No transitparts pump didn't come with a new push rod.

They are resonably cheap from VW anyway.

Having said that it is a hardend steel rod so the chances it will need replacing are very low. I expect to be shot down in flames for that comment IE you should fit a new one because of wear and it won't mate with the new pump blah blah- I didn't and 35K it is still fine.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I had same issue noisey pump ( or thought it was the pump)

fitted new cam shaft , noise went T:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, mine is definetly vac pump but until i remove it i wont know condition of pushrod so i had better get both parts to save time. Does every one change both parts .transitparts now down to 59.99 is it worth a gamble what do you all think.or should i go for genuine parts look forward to your thoughtst:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've noticed my ACV is sounding a little tappety at higher revs recently. The last time it did it I was slightly overdue on a service and when I did get aroudn to changing the oil it wnet away.

I changed the oil and filter again at the weekend (was only changed 3 months ago) thinking the oil had degraded. It seems a little quieter but I'm still aware of it when sitting at 70mph. not sure if it's the tappets, cam or vac pump.

I'd chuck another vac pump on but it's too expensive to change just for the sake of it.

142k on it. Due a cam belt change shortly so much price up a cam/tappet whilst I'm doing that lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts