VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 96 Bilbos breakaway, it has done 151k and is the 2.4 d engine. Apparently the cambelt was changed about 3 years ago and done only about 1500 miles since, but only the cambelt. Is it advisable to get tensioners and waterpump changed as well, does the cambelt run around the waterpump and are they prone to failing?
Also I assume it would be beneficial to have the gearbox oil changed and give it a full service?
Any other things to change or look out for?
Many thanks
Mark

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have just bought a 96 Bilbos breakaway, it has done 151k and is the 2.4 d engine. Apparently the cambelt was changed about 3 years ago and done only about 1500 miles since, but only the cambelt. Is it advisable to get tensioners and waterpump changed as well, does the cambelt run around the waterpump and are they prone to failing?
Also I assume it would be beneficial to have the gearbox oil changed and give it a full service?
Any other things to change or look out for?
Many thanks
Mark
I would get as much done now as you can afford, as prevention is always better than cure (and often a sight cheaper too)

Belts are changed on age and or mileage, but always best as a kit and with the water pump too. You don't say if manual or auto, if the latter it is 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000% important they use the correct VW spec fluid.

Once you have done all that ............................................ just sit back and enjoy ;)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
belts are age and use dependent ( 4 years and 60,000 miles) but are always changed on a which ever comes first basis. given your three (ish) years I'd be looking at changing it especially as its spent some serious time in static positions.

Some water pumps are driven by the cam belt and its appropriate to change them with the cam belt some pumps are driven by a seperate belt and then its not so essential. pulleys, tensioners and idlers are normally changed as part of the service kit as they can get noisy and can seize up. As the engine is an interference design its worth doing ones utmost to ensure its all running smoothly rather than letting a small economy result in a big bill.

If you post your engine code you will get more specific advice.

Suggest you flush your brake fluid through (its hygroscopic) and check brake pads are not binding as its been static for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts