VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here and hopefully looking for some advice from those who know!. I have recently purchased my first VW van, a camper. Its a 2015 T5.1 T30 140bhp six speed manual. This vehicle is 4.5 years old, first registered in August 2015 BUT has done less than 7k miles from new!! Mileage is all documented etc, serviced every year with average annual mileage being less than 2k!
My question is, I know about the 4 year recommendation to change the cambelt, water pump and tensioners but as this vehicle has done less than 7k, would you change all those? Would you change the water pump given the mileage it has done? For peace of mind I will probably get the whole lot done but I wondered what peoples thoughts on this are? Maybe the water pump wont actually need changing, not after 7k miles but would you do it anyway?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Rick.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi Rick,
I always change 60k or 4 yrs on every motor i own, why take chances for a small outlay it could save you thousands.

Just my opinion though (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You've got get it done. It's there by time anyway and you don't know what is going on in there. I once owned a big coachbuilt camper on a Fiat cab. When I got it (10 years old) it only had 2,500 miles on it. I was off on a big trip to Spain so I didn't hesitate. I wasn't paying labour but I would still have had it done, the risk of a wrecked engine is too much.

Some of the 2.0 vans had a problem with the cam belt cover which allowed a failed alternator belt to chew up the cam belt. A dealer can let you know if yours is ok by chassis number. I'd change the pump anyway, it doesn't add that much and you will have peace of mind (and an invoice as part of the history).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all for the replies so far. I will change the cambelt, idlers and tensioners whatever happens but just wondered if the pump would really need changing too at such a low mileage? I agree, for peace of mind then yes, do it, but as I know next to nothing about VW`s I thought I would ask here first!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
As already said yes change all
The water pump is built around a bearing and the worst thing for a bearing to do is stand idle ie not circulating its lubrication
For the cost just do it bud
Ps welcome to the forum (y)
Where's your intro and bus pictures??? 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advice Stuart, yep, good point about circulation, looks like I will just get the lot done then. Peace of mind and all that! No pics yet, got to get it home first!
Intro? Following good forum etiquette I introduced myself on the new members page earlier!!;)(y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dealer recommendation in Australia is 7 years 100km. I did mine at 8 years 80kms . did all the bits including belts. Used the dealer as it is complex enough that if they mess up you have half chance to get it fixed. And they do lots every week. So should know exactly what they are doing. Mech said my aircond has a wobbly pulley - bearing is worn, cost about the same as the cambelt to replace (not repairable) will do that before next summer...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cheers for the input all. Have manged to get the lot done.
Just wish I could get out and about to use it! Will get there eventually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts