VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 T4 2500 TDI 88BHP Camper Van
The van is used regularly bu does not do a great annual mileage. The belts and water pump were last changed in 2007 as a matter of course when the engine top end had to be rebuilt at 35,000 miles following a valve spring breakage. Now ten years later and the vehicle has still only done 70,000 miles. VW handbook says belts should be changed at 80,000 mile intervals but without any mention of age intervals. Have members any views on whether it would be prudent to change the belts after ?? years irrespective of mileage?
Alleygater

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
2002 T4 2500 TDI 88BHP Camper Van
The van is used regularly bu does not do a great annual mileage. The belts and water pump were last changed in 2007 as a matter of course when the engine top end had to be rebuilt at 35,000 miles following a valve spring breakage. Now ten years later and the vehicle has still only done 70,000 miles. VW handbook says belts should be changed at 80,000 mile intervals but without any mention of age intervals. Have members any views on whether it would be prudent to change the belts after ?? years irrespective of mileage?
Alleygater
UK 60,000 miles or 4 years T:T:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes should be changed every Four years, Get the full kit from VW with all the belts rollers and bolts, also get VW water pump. T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,388 Posts
4-500 quid will save you 1000's if that cam belt goes...

Get it changed, and as above,go genuine, and the water pump at the same time!

I bought mine, 7 years old, with only 27,000km (about 17,000 miles) on it.

1st job I did was get the belts changed! (Never been done according to the service book.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for all your replies. It would seem I have been running on borrowed time for the past few years. I will arrange for the belts, water pump and rollers etc to be changed pronto. I thought there ought to be an age limit which is why I asked the question. I do not doubt for one second the 4 year interval all you knowledgeable folk have quoted but just out of interest where is this stated by VW. I have again gone through the VW handbook supplied with the vehicle when new page by page but still can not find any reference to a belt change age limit - only 80,000 miles.
Alleygater

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes it is not in the service book but when you ask VW the answer is 4 years.
If you are going to have all belts etc and pump replaced phone your local VW VAN CENTRE and ask for a price for the work from the Fixed price service work that they offer. I did this 18 months ago and it only cost £530 for all the work and parts, plus 2 years warranty from VW garage. T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,388 Posts
BTW....
There is also an age limit for posting on here....possibly hitting the 80 mark soon! LOL:

"but still can not find any reference to a belt change age limit - only 80,000 miles."

I guess they worked out that a "van" should be doing about 20,000 miles/year.
My old man, as a "problem shooter" for a kitchen firm (Moben), clocked up 97,000 miles in his Citroen BX before trading it in after NINE MONTHS!

@ Alancaddy;

"80,000 miles / 4 years for 2.5tdi engine (note for cars newer than september 2009 VW now say 5 years)

Durex are also using a new rubber compound to stop them deteriorating with age.
I've had one in my wallet since I was 15...ONE-DAY, I may get chance to use it . T:

WHY do VW say they should be changed every 4 years, BUT only give a 2 year warranty?

Surely, you should be able to sign up for a "regular" belt change, and have piece [sic] of mind that it will be OK for the service interval stated?!?! :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
I spoke to VW a few months ago and they told me that the 5 year limit does not apply any more. 125,000 km they told me and they recomend inspecting the belt at every service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts