VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happens when you let mokeys do your cambelt.
In their wisdom they decided not to fit a new tensioner along with the belt despite me specifically stating that i wanted the belt AND tensioner doing
This is the result. The tensioner has collapsed. It was fitted on the 23rd december 2010 and has covered less than a thousand miles.
Good job i don't trust anyone and decided to check.
Needless to say the van has been towed back to them and i won't be paying for it to be sorted

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
man thats:eek::eek::eek:
good job you faound it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
WOW, that's just lazy! doesn't it come as a kit with cambelt? Are you trusting the same place to do the repair, not sure that I would...

Glad you caught it in time T:

Jon

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is what happens when you let mokeys do your cambelt.
In their wisdom they decided not to fit a new tensioner along with the belt despite me specifically stating that i wanted the belt AND tensioner doing
This is the result. The tensioner has collapsed. It was fitted on the 23rd december 2010 and has covered less than a thousand miles.
Good job i don't trust anyone and decided to check.
Needless to say the van has been towed back to them and i won't be paying for it to be sorted

If they didn't change the tensioner you can bet they didn't change the lower cambelt drive pulley and crankshaft bolt. Make sure its all done to spec this time around. I:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Any chance you can get hold of the broken tensioner from the garage? I know you said it collapsed, but did the spring break, body break or the bearing seize? I would be interested to know as well as some others on here.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Lucky you checked it, most people wouldnt have bothered, we will all be out checking ours when it gets light.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If they didn't change the tensioner you can bet they didn't change the lower cambelt drive pulley and crankshaft bolt. Make sure its all done to spec this time around. I:
I would totally agree with this. Make sure they also fit the new washer from vw too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems to be a bit strange but i've been looking on various motor factor websites for timing belt kits for this engine and the majority only supply the belt and tensioner. I've only seen one that includes the bolt as well.
By the way, the guy at the garage said that because there was no play in the tensioner that they didn't replace it and that the cambelts don't come with the tensioner.
Does he think i just stepped off the happy bus or something? The [email protected] Don't insult my intelligence.
Exactly the same thing happened a few years ago at the same place with my audi 1Z engine and i also caught it in time when the belt was less than half the original width. Shouldn't have gone back to them ever again. Christ knows why i did this time. Needless to say they've blown it with me now

I'll be naming and shaming the [email protected] as soon as its repaired to my satisfaction

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
seems to be a bit strange but i've been looking on various motor factor websites for timing belt kits for this engine and the majority only supply the belt and tensioner. I've only seen one that includes the bolt as well.
By the way, the guy at the garage said that because there was no play in the tensioner that they didn't replace it and that the cambelts don't come with the tensioner.
Does he think i just stepped off the happy bus or something? The [email protected] Don't insult my intelligence.
Exactly the same thing happened a few years ago at the same place with my audi 1Z engine and i also caught it in time when the belt was less than half the original width. Shouldn't have gone back to them ever again. Christ knows why i did this time. Needless to say they've blown it with me now

I'll be naming and shaming the [email protected] as soon as its repaired to my satisfaction
There are far too many cowboys out there and they give the good guys the same suspicion from punters they don't deserve.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I did the belt,tensioner,idler, bolt and new diamond washer on mine, came as a kit from VW, did the waterpump as well. got my other van to do in a couple of weeks. Takes me the best part of a day but i'd rather that, than something like this happen !
Was it a genuine part they used or not.
Just dont get why if youve got it all apart anyway you may as well do the lot. obviously the garage trying to save a few quid, no time saved really, as its only a couple of minutes to change tensioner.
False economy though, as they now have to go through the whole process again :*

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the belt,tensioner,idler, bolt and new diamond washer on mine, came as a kit from VW, did the waterpump as well. got my other van to do in a couple of weeks. Takes me the best part of a day but i'd rather that, than something like this happen !
Was it a genuine part they used or not.
Just dont get why if youve got it all apart anyway you may as well do the lot. obviously the garage trying to save a few quid, no time saved really, as its only a couple of minutes to change tensioner.
False economy though, as they now have to go through the whole process again :*
All iknow is that it was a Contitech belt (Continental)
Going to do the waterpump myself in a few weeks just in case. Good job i noticed it cos i've just fitted new shocks, bottom ball joints, steering arms, track rod ends, glow plugs, radiator and given it a full service. I'm pretty handy with the spanners but i've never done a cambelt before and with it being a critical part of the engine i thought i'd leave it to the 'experts'. Gonna give it a couple of months after its fixed and try to find someone who knows what they're doing and replace it myself cos i'm always going to be paranoid about it now. at least if i do it myself i have the incentive to make sure its done to the letter.
How much was the full VW kit if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A little update. After getting the timing belt replaced FOC, my brand new alternator/water pump belt decided to top itself tonight.
Would i be right in thinking that they've put the crank damper on the wrong way round as the pulleys are out of line
I'm fitting the new crank sprocket, stretch bolt and damper tomorrow anyway so its coming off
My paranoia of the repairs they've done has led to me checking the timing belt after every journey now.
The pic is as it was at lunchtime today. I was intending to sort it when i got home but it didn't make it that far:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts