VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my eldest has introduced me to the T5 world, I am thinking of getting one for myself (I have a low-light T2 project at the mo' but want to think beyond that, once finished).

I'm exploring best options for a camper van (with cooker/sink and maybe hot water, not just a day/over-nighter) and would love to hear what you T5 devotees have done. First thoughts are a MWB, standard height van, merely for easy of use, parking and access to restricted height areas, but I have an open mind.

The key item though is the bed as I am 6'5" tall. I will (probably) not want a fixed bed so rock and roll type and I will be sharing it, although my partner is only 5'2".

If and when I am ready, I will probably buy the T5, then find a recommended 'fitter' and have them build to my spec/design so any suggestions for what's available, as well as the layout/configuration would be very much appreciated.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It’s been said before; welcome to frequently empty wallet club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have said something constructive; here goes:

I have never regretted over speccing my base vehicle. Air con and 140 we’re not essential but I’m glad we have those features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
My view (and I rarely post is) we are all different with different needs (all on a different journey) so:

Try a camper van for a while (I know you have)

See what you like, what you don't like

Then make decisions based on your budget

Easy

Rus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

My main question though is not so much about the spec or even fit of vehicle (I know I'll be wanting some creature comforts like Aircon, remote central locking, electric windows/mirrors and probably heated seats, plus nothing less than 150 BHP :)).

BUT have any of you got images/designs for a layout for a LONG bed configuration. Most of those that I have seen are about 6' max length, which leaves at least 6" of me hanging off the end!

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
You could fit a California Seat Bed on Rails..........

.........and extend the rear shelf unit by 6 inches or more..........

..........et voila!

Not the cheapest option me thinks but you do get a crash tested seat bed with seat belts and head rests along with a large storage draw and compartment to store your jack, wheel brace and detachable swan neck tow bar (If you have one).

·
Registered
377 Posts
The thing to do is , look at various conversions and of those that you like, talk to the converters and see if they can come up with a solution to your needs.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Your 6'5" and im 6'2" but how many of us sleep in a straight line ? Even when camping my sleeping bag is a lot shorter than me and I still get a decent nights kip I think nearly everybody must sleep with their knees bent a little so I wouldn't be too concerned about leg room unless your planning on spending the night flat on your back I:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Rib i think do make longer seats/beds to special order and so do Cambee. You could also consider U shaped seating in the rear if rear passengers not a problem

·
Registered
182 Posts
We’ve got LWB with pop top so the bed upstairs is plenty long enough for my 6ft 2 husband so that’s another option!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I made my own rock and roll bed, really its a box off and roll bed but I am delighted with how it turned out. As long as you need it and more storage space than a normal rock and roll bed. I can also change from seat to bed with the doors closed. (In case any body asks )

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm 6ft 5 & my wife is 5ft 2, so we're in the same situation!
We have a 2 x T5, one is a LWB 2008 1.9tdi which is my working van and its fantastic!
Our other van is a 2013 2.0L 140bhp California Beach with the two seater bench configuration, which is also fantastic!.
My absolute ideal campervan would be a cross between the two above!
With the California 2 seater Beach set up, we have a full width bed, bigger than a standard double bed but a bit smaller than a kingsize bed and longer than me. Upstairs, the roof bed is slightly smaller than a double bed but still long enough for me and more importantly will easily take our combined weight with no problems ( over 190kg between us ).
We actually found that buying the California Beach made more sense to us over a conversion, however if we'd of gone down the conversion route, we'd of chosen a LWB and added the California bed and rails & possibly a kitchen pod, with a decent pop top roof but wouldn't of been so confident of being able to use the roof bed.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
If you're tall and you intend to sleep with you knees bent then just make sure the beds wide enough std Cali is only 115cm I think. It sounds like a full width Cali Beach might be a better bet. Otherwise get a McLaren Sport Home based on a Crafter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some great input here so thanks all for taking the time to comment and for the pictures!

I've certainly got a starting point for the types of thing I need to examine more closely. As I get nearer to making the decision to buy, I will go hunting for a few examples of the configurations suggested and 'beg a look'.

The LWB option is something I hadn't really considered (I want the van to fit into a normal parking bay or I would consider a larger van such as a Crafter, Sprinter, Master, etc.), but hearing your enthusiasm Big-Bloke, I might look again.

Rowsi, Gixxer -thanks for the pics - two interesting options!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts