VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan for the van has been to do a short term conversion on a shoestring. This way we can decide what works and what doesn't and enjoy the van over the summer.

Total spend so far:

2 cabinet hinges - £10
2 metres of paracord - £2.50
1 pack of sewing machine needles - £2

everything else is just stuff i had hoarded in the shed, admittedly I have just finished doing up the house (well, nearly) so i did have a lot of wood, paint and ironmongery lying around.

The big chest over the driver side wheel arch, the one that Jen is sitting on, has a fold out top. When its doors are wide open they support the top and this, in conjunction with the back seats, in folded down position, forms a double bed base. I have constructed the fold out top with two sheets of thin ply that's reinforced in-between with batons, this way is isn't ridiculously heavy, shouldn't warp and is strong enough to support 2 people (and a dog).
I've tried to make everything as strong, but light, as possible. The big grey chest isn't particularly well finished but it is reasonably well engineered, the light blue 'kitchen' unit, on the other hand, has turned out quite nicely, so even though it was only supposed to be a prototype we might just keep it the way it is.
The awning is made of some thin canvas we had, i think it's called cailico, and I suppose I'm going to need to shell out for some waterproofing, so that's probably going to double the spend total. :)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This is what its all about..its not only the 4 grand conversions and loads of bling, its the guys who do it on a shoe string and enjoy their vans for what it is......well done and looking good T:

·
Registered
161 Posts
its what its all about, im doing the same doing it myself utalising what ive got lying about and what i can beg, borrow or (wheres my balaclava) steal, i bought my velle showed it to my brother who then went out and bought a new california!! i feel half the funs doing it yourself and the pride when like minded people comment on what you have done, my base van cost me £500 and im going to have as much fun with mine if not more than he will with his and i will be the one next year whos vans worth more than i bought it for while his has dropped in value... come on folks lets see more of campers on a shoestring and trick ideas you have come up with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts