VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. ill start off with an apology my question has probably been answered a dozen times on here, but i simple cant find it.

Anyway i bought a T5 van a few months ago. i have put windows in and seats in the back. I now want to install a leisure battery to run some lights that i want to fit in the roof and possible a single socket.. I know you need a split relay. but can someone suggest what i need. how much it will cost etc.. where to mount the leisure battery etc and where to get a kit .. any help appreciated , many thanks,

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
hi guys. ill start off with an apology my question has probably been answered a dozen times on here, but i simple cant find it.

Anyway i bought a T5 van a few months ago. i have put windows in and seats in the back. I now want to install a leisure battery to run some lights that i want to fit in the roof and possible a single socket.. I know you need a split relay. but can someone suggest what i need. how much it will cost etc.. where to mount the leisure battery etc and where to get a kit .. any help appreciated , many thanks,
have a chat with upspex on here,or look on his threads.T:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
can you post it up I am going to be at that stage soon my self..

having done a van before I will this time have a split charger and I will be getting the t4camper chaps one that advertises on here.. that black box that has the lot in it and the fuses costs more but easy and neat to fit.. saves time in the end

I will have a look and post back here the one I mean.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5026

was one and another for £160

the one above was the one I was always looking at anyway but the £160 with another company on here has the switches.. and a display of the battery power :confused::*:confused: I know the top one is very easy to wire in not sure about the other one can any one say either way. it's the one with the carbon fiber front to it.
I have this split charger......... Have a look at my build thread to see it. (i haven't connected it up just yet).
Jay or Abi, will help you out & answer any questions you have. My thread will show you how to fit one of these.
Depending on what battery you buy? will determine where you put it. Ive got mine & the split charger unit under the drivers seat, so its all hidden away.
If this is what you require? then the battery you buy will need to be no more than 19cm high. If your having/got cupboards/units int he back, then you could go bigger.

If this SC unit isn't suitable for you, then try Martyn (Upspex), he is also very helpful & would be willing to help you out im sure.
As with most people on here, everyone helps out where they can, to keep the VW scene a happy place.. T:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. i dont suppose anyone has done a walkthrough of how to install the leisure battery and split relay etc. as frankly i dont wanna get it wrong. i dont even know exactly what i need.. does anyone sell the full kit including all the cables, relay ,fuses and even socket.. as i say i really only want it for some roof lights and 1 powered socket..

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a link for the one that was a complete kit mate....the sooner I get the electrics sorted the sooner I can insulate the van

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I wanted to install a 240v socket in the van do I also need some sort of transformer hidden behind the socket!!

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
So if I wanted to install a 240v socket in the van do I also need some sort of transformer hidden behind the socket!!
the unit that you have shown intrest in is on offer at the minute, and you also receive a 30m reel of 2 core cable free of chargeT:, if you are able to pm me with an email address we have a nice easy to follow drawing showing how the 12v split charge is wired, and also how the 240v can be linked by means of a battery chargerT: Abi didnt get a chance to load this into our photo album before she went on holsI:, hence the reason for asking for your email addressT:

many thanks

jay:ILU:

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
I have this split charger......... Have a look at my build thread to see it. (i haven't connected it up just yet).
Jay or Abi, will help you out & answer any questions you have. My thread will show you how to fit one of these.
Depending on what battery you buy? will determine where you put it. Ive got mine & the split charger unit under the drivers seat, so its all hidden away.
If this is what you require? then the battery you buy will need to be no more than 19cm high. If your having/got cupboards/units int he back, then you could go bigger.

If this SC unit isn't suitable for you, then try Martyn (Upspex), he is also very helpful & would be willing to help you out im sure.
As with most people on here, everyone helps out where they can, to keep the VW scene a happy place.. T:
thanks for the mention above and we are looking forward to reading your build threadT:

thanks once again

jay:ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have a question on the same wavelength.

But I have a factory fitted leisure battery so it's already got split charge, how do you all set up your electrics with this in mind. I'm guessing I'll just have a separate 240v system for hookibg up that powers sockets etc..

But what about lighting, and anything I chose to run on 12v...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts