VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
could someone advise me please
I am thinking of adding a heater in my camper but not quiet sure which to look out for, diesel heater or propex (gas) heater, which one seems to be more popular and which one is cheaper, probably have to be second hand as I have only got a £ 400 budget.
any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi,
could someone advise me please
I am thinking of adding a heater in my camper but not quiet sure which to look out for, diesel heater or propex (gas) heater, which one seems to be more popular and which one is cheaper, probably have to be second hand as I have only got a £ 400 budget.
any advice would be much appreciated.
bluebird are doing a T4 forum spec on on the Propex £415.00 inclusive http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59118

·
Registered
659 Posts
eberspachers are fab but expensive, the propex will eat up a lot of gas so youll need a fairly large gas bottle in the van. £ 400 should buy you an excellent condition eberspacher D2 and it will fit under the driver seat but its a lot of work, mine is fitted like this, pics on my build blog, also the heater is very efficient using only about a tea cup of diesel per hour and id draws very little from your leisure battery.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Actually the propex is very thrifty on gas

Economy

The chart below reflects the consumption of gas if the heater was running continuously. In reality, both heaters have similar very high efficiency ratings, so the overall gas consumption will be about the same because the HS2800 will be running for a shorter period of time before the thermostat switches it off

Average consumption

142 grams/hour

3.9kg propane 27.5 hours

4.5kg butane 31.7 hours

13kg propane 91.5 hours

15kg butane 105.6 hours

19kg butane 133.8 hours

47kg butane 331.0 hours

904 Camping gaz (1.81kg) 12.75 hours

907 Camping gaz (2.72kg)

Technical Specifications

HS2000

Heat Input: 2.1kW

Heat Output: 1.9kW

Voltage: 12V or 24V versions

Current Consumption: 1.4A continuous running

Air Throughput: 60 C.F.M.

Fuel:

Butane or Propane Gas
HS2000

·
Registered
659 Posts
Most campers only carry a single 907 cylinder though and that would last about three nights at a push and then need a refill at around £20 if I remember correctly.
The eberspacher uses a tiny amount of fuel and I dont have to find a seperate place to stow it.
Also if your butane cylinder gets too cold then the heater will not light due to the lack of gas pressure, so you will need to use propane really which is less affected by cold ambient temperatures.
A 13 kg propane cylinder takes up a lot of space in a small van.
I considered both heaters before settling on an Eberspacher, they are both great bits of kit but where space is at a premium the Eberspacher wins,
In my van I simply cannot fit a larger gas cylinder and my 907 is good for years of use just running the hob.
If you plan out your van to take a larger propane cylinder then the propex heater is much cheaper to buy and youll get a new one for the price of a good used Eberspacher but if you run out of gas youll get cold unless you carry a spare but then youll need even more space and a double gas locker.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I strongly suggest you hear an eber running before you make your decision. They are indeed the bee's knees, but goddam they make a racket.

·
Registered
659 Posts
True they are a bit noisy on start up but they calm down after a couple of minutes and they can be fitted with a silencer in the exhaust pipe but I dont have one fitted in my van so I cant say how effective they are. The noise is all on the outside really so it doesnt really affect us in the van but it could be annoying on a cramped campsite if you were parked next to someone in a tent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts