VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering what people use for keeping their dogs secure in the back of their vans.

I have two Labradors - ones 7 years old and good as gold - others 3 months and is currently trying to eat me out of house, home and potentially the van. I'm looking for something that both secures them for transporting them about and to stop them rolling about the back at every corner and one that restrains the pup until she's out of her chew everything stage. It needs to be quickly collapse-able/storable as its a camper we've got so space is critical. Both dogs travel we'll in the large metal cage i've got but its fixed and not collapse-able.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

·
Registered
384 Posts
We went with a 48" cage, fully collapsible. I'm very impressed at how easy it is to set up and collapse and is strong enough to attach a lead to - don't buy the cheapest though get a quality mesh as some we looked at used thin wire and were very weak. Easily big enough for our two (springer spaniel and Weimaraner) and they sleep in it when away camping. Previous owner used a XL fabric carrier that he said was good and also easy to store. Went with the cage due to the Weimaraner was a puppy at the time and would have chewed a fabric model.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2 cheapy ones from pet planet, the other (bottom right) was a secondhand pets at home version and is slightly stronger. They fold flat when not in use and the dogs settle better in them than out of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will be using a dog pod which was purpose built for my Ford Kuga, they are purpose built by this company http://www.dogpods.com
They can make anything you want to fit your van, it's all plastic coated and doesn't rattle (my pet hate). It sits on a rubber mat and with weight of the dog it won't budge.Not cheap but a viable option to get one made to fit your space. You can secure it to original securing rings if you have any available, my van is being converted with two still available

·
Registered
69 Posts
People who keep their dogs loose in the back of vans are asking for trouble.
In an accident that dog, or anything else loose, for that matter, will come at you
at approx ten times the original weight.
We used to put our springer in the boot of our discovery.
Coming home on a dual carriageway, at around 60mph, the diff went on the back,
which made the vehicle shudder to a mental emergency stop.
The dog, was cattapoulted foreward, snapping the back seat, and ended up in the front with us
after we stopped swerving round, and trying to stop the Disco from falling over.
Apart from the bill for the vehicle, the vets bill for the dog was even larger.
For transporting animals, you want a cage secured to the floor, and the cage only a little
larger than the dog, it does not need room to walk around.
If you have two dogs, and are for some reason moving one, board the cage in half to reduce movement.
The police at the accident,SAID THE DOG SNAPPING THE SEAT, TOOK THE MOMENTUM OUT OF HER JOURNEY TOWARDS US,
WHICH WOULD HAVE PROBABLY KILLED ONE OF US AS SHE HIT US. (keyboard error with caps)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts