VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering what everyones experience is in tems of the difference in insurance between campers and panel vans??

I've seen a few people suggest converting panel to camper in order to lower insurance and wondered if this is worth the effort??

I've just been had over by Aut*net insurance (Please note that I had to get the ombudsmen involved with them!!) They charged me £750.00 to insure my panel van.

I might add that my insurance on my A reg T25 Autohomes camper was £480.00 last year.

I'm 28 with 2 years no claims been driving 6 years no accidents no convictions.

I'll never rush into insurance again after the circus experience i've had this time!!

What is considered them minimum for a camper conversion? Side windows, Rock and roll bed or the full works?? I've heard of people having issues with dvla changing from panel to camper on the log book??

Also will converting the vehicle make the status 'modified' with the insurance companies? As I for one know that they will try any trick in the book (or not in it) to squeeze more cash out of you!!

I got the T4 to use as a work van instead of wrecking my T25 but I'll percivere with a mini camper conversion if I have to in order to gain cheap insurance. I'm sure I could fabricate something to suit both work and 'camping'.

All expertise welcome!!!!T:

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I started looking around for insurance I was getting quotes of £1000 for third party as a panel van. Ended up with £215 fully comp as a camper.

Mind you I did specify that it was not a work vehicle but was a daily driver. My biggest hurdle was avoiding a limited mileage policy. I still don't understand how you could have a useful van and only do 3000 miles a year in it? I do that in one 'holiday' outing!

I'm thinking in your case you are probably better off insuring it was a work vehicle .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just paid £700 for my van insurance. The back has been carpeted and flooring done but apart from that its a blank shell. It looks as though the average campervan insurance comes in around £300. If you weigh that against the extra fuel used for lugging about rock n roll beds and units plus the internal loading space lost then i bet the saving over a year wont be that much.
I want to keep the van aspect for transporting kayaks and bikes so a full conversion is out the window so reckon i am gonna stick with a basic layout and keep the van insurance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes mate thats familiar, my t25 was £480 unlimted mileage with adrian flux but they offered me it for 5000 limited miles at first for £250, so i'd say they were pretty flexible.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
well dude my cousin used to work for aut*net insurance and I can say without any regret, that this company is nothing but a bunch of idiots & drug addicts. They rip people off and the reason they do this is to outdo eachother in the office and to pay for the weekend bad habbits.
That's all i will say on the matter but please do not insure any of your vehicles with this company because you will regret it.
My cousin left the company on his own terms because he simply has too many good bones in his body and could not become a liar & a cheat.
Be warned, stay away! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
i had a quote from various groups for a panel van 800 quid plus and that was garged in me mums (little cheap i was thinkin;)) no tools bla bla. Looked into camper insurance and told the truth my house, drive way bla bla liverpool etc etc. I was expecting a ££££s but to my surprise 190 quid fully comp :D I would say defo worth it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
With regards to qualifying as a camper van and not a panel van. I was on the phone to HIC this morning, and they said it must have bed, storage, sink and hob to be a campervan. I think she also said side windows but will have to check that again.
The way I see it, the rock n roll seat/bed can go flat right, why not lay it flat, fold the mattress up against the wall on the sink/hop and lay some ply over the flat bed and there's you're load area. a bit reduced, yes, but can still get plenty of stuff in there.

I was offered around £950 as panel van on a 2.5tdi (i think, might've been 1.9tdi). Rang HIC and they said £450 fully comp. I'm 28, 1 yrs no claims, hit a deer 2 years ago (apparently my fault it was standing in the middle of the motorway at 3am?), and said I'd have it off-road parking at my mums in wiltshire. Apparently, although the same company, adrian flux and HIC offer different prices, so try them both!

·
Registered
126 Posts
two years ago panel van ins £600 now camper £229 =[ shield total ins ]
dvla requirements for camper conversion = 6ft bed - wardrobe - plumbed in sink & cooker - windows ither side
*& dining area

·
Registered
931 Posts
This website lists all the requirements and processes for legally converting a panel van to a camper van.

Looks to me like you can get away with a rock n roll bed with drawer underneath, microwave (with inverter to power it), a water container over 27L, a detachable table (with permanent floor fitting) and 1 side window in the rear of the vehicle.

I'm sure you can cover those bases and still have a practical work vehicle, but probably best mention to the insurers that you use it for work incase you have an accident whilst carrying bags of cement and tools around. (and because it's a legality, ofcourse! ;) )

·
Registered
126 Posts
yep me to shield total ins full conversion 2-5tdi fully comp 12 mths abroad cover & breakdown all for £229
2 yrs no claimsA:A:A:A:A:A:

·
Registered
90 Posts
what line do i go down then im cov my white panel van by puttin windows in and three seats and useing as day van/daily ??just pay exubrant price for panel van or is there summat i could do???

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
the important thing here isnt the premium price its the cover
If you crash your van- insured as a panel van- you get panel vwn book price despite the windows, seats etc you have put in it

if its insured as a camper you get the price of a panel van plus all the things youve added, also usually cover for awnings, gas bottles, personal belongings

and its usually for less thatn a panel van ploicy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always good advice on here guys the chisel set is about to come out on the road to camper van conversion/ work vehicle. I'll be posting my pics on here through the process and I'll try to build a happy medium for the working camper!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just got my quote from Shield for a 1995 1.9 full conversion to the value of £6000,£230 with protected full no claims,contents to the value of £3500,365 days euro cover and £250 excess,limited to 8000 miles.I think i will be going with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try HIC they are underwritten by NIG and I've been with them for 5 years. I got a 2002 multivan with mods and it costs me about 280 with full european breakdown cover. Its not a full camper conversion.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Try HIC they are underwritten by NIG and I've been with them for 5 years. I got a 2002 multivan with mods and it costs me about 280 with full european breakdown cover. Its not a full camper conversion.
Hi who Is HIC & NIG in full terms thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts