VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do,

The current Mrs Village and I will be enbarking on a tour of the south coast at the end of next week, commencing with a couple of days at the War and Peace show at Beltring, Kent followed by a couple of dys with friends in Pompey and ending with a weekend in Beaminster Dorset. The schedule has a hole in the middle that we would like to fill with a couple of days on the Isle of Wight.

Do any of you fine folk have any recommendations for the following:

1) the best (i.e. cheapest) way to get us and the Van across the Solent.
2) Recommendations for campsites – preferable with some leccy hookup, but at this late stage, anything would do…

Thanks in advance

Pete & Shaz

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Village,

We went over to Isle of Wight about 6 years ago so the info might be slightly dated but we stayed here:

Carpenters Farm

If that place doesn't take you fancy just have a look at the other campsites mentioned on that site we've picked several campsites and never had a duff experience.

As to getting over there we went on the Red Funnel from Southhampton.

hope this makes some kind of sense.

Rob

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
When I last went I was outraged at the prices they were charging for turn up and go crossings. So I whinged that I couldnt pre-book as their site didnt work with Macs....

A quick call to the office and they gave me the advanced fare.

(I have no idea if their site works with Macs. I dont have one)I:

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Looked at going to isle of wight next week, then on to Beuliue, ferry was so expensive we are giving it a miss. T:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wightlink for me as Island resident = £58 yeap £58 blxxxy £s.
If you have a window van may get it cheaper.

Regards Steve W....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Red Funnel will most likely be your cheapest option, if you book their saver fare and stick to your nominated sailing times. Make sure you book on the official website though http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ There are a few ferry ticket "broker" websites who will add their charges to the fares if you aren't careful!!

Unfortunately it is silly money to get on and off the Island at this time of the year, they whack the prices up to fleece families. I might come across as a bitter, that's because I am!! I spend hundreds of pounds every year travelling that tiny stretch of water. That said the Island is a great place to visit, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. Just spend as long as you can to make the ferry cost seem more reasonable.

A good site would be http://www.chine-farm.co.uk/ very open, near the cliffs close to Compton Beach which is fun for surfing, families etc. Bit exposed if the weather is a bit blowy but that might add to the fun!

Hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
539 Posts
We're members of the Caravan Club (don't laugh, it gets us loads of discounts on insurance etc. and in this case, ferry tickets).
We booked through them to go from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and it cost £60 return.

I can vouch for Carpenters Farm. I recently worked in the owners house across the road from the campsite and they are very nice people.
The campsite looks fairly basic but it depends what you want.

We're going over with the family in a couple of weeks and are staying at Whitecliffe Bay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you cant get in at Chine (sure you can) there are a couple more sites on the coast road, Grange and Brighstone, both great. The pub in Brighstone, New Inn is good but try and find The Sun at Hulverstone, its lovely, not far.
You can usually get cheap ferry deals after 10pm. I too vouch for joining camping clubs, you save the fee with one weekend away
Have a great holiday

·
Registered
917 Posts
When I last went I was outraged at the prices they were charging for turn up and go crossings. So I whinged that I couldnt pre-book as their site didnt work with Macs....

A quick call to the office and they gave me the advanced fare.

(I have no idea if their site works with Macs. I dont have one)I:
Oh. I'll be using that genius idea everywhere from now on! Nice work sir (and I do have a Mac)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts