VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , looking to travel the west coast of Brittany and go further south if the weather is poor .We have all of June to play with .will probably use the ferry from Pymouth .Any cool/quite campsites to recommend ,guidebooks ?. We are also veggies ,so if any of you are like minded ,have you found any good places to visit ?.
Also ,any thoughts on putting kit on the roof , am I correct in thinking toll charges go up with height of the van ?.Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Having kit on the roof increases your height and attracts an excess or puts you into a higher category for fares.

Before now we have arrived in the terminal early, removed the stuff off the roof temporarily, shoving it in the back with the kids.

Always book your (standard size) T4 on as an MPV / 4x4 because that way you can book car type dimensions. Technically you are a few centimetres over 1.83 but I havn't been pulled for that (yet....)

If you are booking online, when you come to the section about club voyage enter the my club membership number f55804 and say you are a friend of the member (all van owners are friends arn't they!!!) That takes 15 % off the ferry fare.

To get the best deals into Roscoff travel on a day or afternoon crossing mid week.

There are litteraly loads of campsites in Brittany and they are pretty much all good.

A nice one for the trip back is the municipal in Santec which is right on the beach and about 10 minutes from the terminal, allows you to take the 0800 day crossing home

When arriving in Roscoff terminal take the immediate right after the gates signposted "centre ville" at the top of the hill turn left which brings you on to the main road South avaoiding the scrum that usually develops as people leave the terminal.

There are really good sites and places to go depending on what floats your boat. In June I would cut out a bit South to get the warmer weather. It's lovely down around Carnac and I love the Camping de la Plage at La Trinite Sur Mer. Which is smack on the beach which has a lovely little bar / restauraunt with fantastic views on it.

If you are looking for somewhere that the kids will simply love, somewhere their time is organised, go for Ty Nadan at Arzano.

On the way back call in to Red Cash Wine and beer in St Pol De Leon (can't miss it it's right next to the road) and say hello to Jean and Vivienne - a really nice couple

Rhys

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
PS

Just noticed you are in Cornwall, I would wander on to the BF website and have a look at their special offers pages.

You can do a 24 hour trip all year round fro not a lot of money, currently there is a 4 day special offer too.

Typically we take the van over on a Friday overnight spend all day wandering round Brittany then, depending on the time of year, either get the Saturday overnight or Sunday morning return.

Comes in at around 120 pounds if we want cabind on both legs of the trip!!

If you can't be 120 pounds ahead of yourself after half a days shopping then something is wrong.

And no I don't just mean booze I am thinking coffee fruit juice in season fruits, vegetables pretty much most things.

Same with things like lawn mowers. chain saws and power tools.

Diesel is also a lot cheaper so make sure the light is on going into the ferry!!

There are a number of big stores in Morlaix A Geant you nearly fall over as you arrive in town and a LeClerc which can be a bit more fiddly to find. These are their equivalent to Tescos or Morrisons. Mr Bricolage is the place to get your tools and stuff from. Some years ago i took a complete shower unit over to Brittany to fit in our house and then relised it was about 30 % cheaper locally. We recently installed a wood stove in our house over there, same thing, lots cheaper than buying it over here and the guy from the Briccomarche popped in on his way homw from work to make sure I had installed it properly!!

We tend to shop in the smaller LeClerc in St Pol de Leon together with the Intermarche in St Martin Des Champs. Sice you are vegetablists you might want to stop in the little farm shop on the roundabout just outside St Pol, it's a little cottage converted into a shop. The stuff is all organic and very high quality.

There are plenty of good places to eat, try Creperie Ty Sauzon in Roscoff itself. Nice little family run business.

Even though I live in Fishguard we still pop over on one of their shopping trips every 6 weeks or so, it's well worth it.

HTH

Rhys

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Anywhere on ths south side of the Gulf of Morbihan, Port Navalo, Sancerre. There used to be a CCC GB there which was really good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Rhys, whereabouts is your place? My folks have a little place near Huelguat, heading there in a couple of weeks. Memories as a kid of trawling the big Geaent in Morlaix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts