VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a bit of a daft question but nice to know what others do:
When camping I turn off my interior lights to reduce as much as possible any use of the starter battery. I have interior lights all running from Leisure battery so is there any need for the original side door light? I thought about shorting togather the side door switch out but that will only introduce problems with auto re-lock etc. I hear the comfort onboard supply unit (J519) make the occasional dink noise when the door is open for any length of time which I'm pretty sure is the timeout for the interior light, its a shame you cannot isolate the lot and just use leisure battery whilst camping.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,581 Posts
Why not just turn them all off with the master switch in the front head lining, mine turns off all the interior lights including the 4 step lights?

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,122 Posts
May be a bit of a daft question but nice to know what others do:
When camping I turn off my interior lights to reduce as much as possible any use of the starter battery. I have interior lights all running from Leisure battery so is there any need for the original side door light? I thought about shorting togather the side door switch out but that will only introduce problems with auto re-lock etc. I hear the comfort onboard supply unit (J519) make the occasional dink noise when the door is open for any length of time which I'm pretty sure is the timeout for the interior light, its a shame you cannot isolate the lot and just use leisure battery whilst camping.
It is very easy to rework the T5 wiring so the standard interior lights are running off the Leisure battery :)

On my Shuttle, I have set it up so the lights run of Leisure Battery for power, and I have a switch which selects if I am using cab light control for the switch (so like VW intended) for the rear lights, or if i want to override the cab switch to either stay off, or stay on (and stays on without the annoying timeout).

It is also well worth while replacing the standard festoon bulbs with LED versions - that will make the power usage negligible compared to the standard bulbs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting arrangement Hoovie, the fronts aren't a issue really as a turn them off and never use the doors well hardly.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,406 Posts
If you do as Hoovie suggests and replace the step light with an LED (on mine it's a W5W) you should not have an issue, provided the auto turn-off feature is working. 12 minutes running a 1W or less LED is going to take next to nothing out of the starter battery.

·
8,122 Posts
Yup, I use my T5 as a camper, but also as a working vehicle, so want to be able to control the lights in both modes (and also I liked the idea of not fitting any extra lights in my case as already had 10 standard roof lights at the back :eek:

Used this switch:

And modified it to control the Courtesy lights as follows:
from left to right position....
All Rear Lights off
Left Rear Lights on
Lights controlled by cab switch (shown as the door open symbol)
Right Rear Lights on
All Rear Lights on
Photos of how it works here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4214265&postcount=65

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Hoovie
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I can't see the photos (I know there's a photobucket problem). I'm trying to set my SWB shuttle lights the same as you've done (although yours is LWB). They say a picture paints a thousand word any chance you can describe or do you still have the photos saved elsewhere you could email?
Thanks
Jason

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
LED seem a bit hit and miss - the good/bright ones seem to disappear when I take it in for some work at a garage and the ones I have now flicker like mad- going to replace them again :bhd

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep agreed. Tried changing to led lights in front and step but they flicker and went back to analogue. Anyone recommend something that works well. ?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
if it is late 2009/2010 model onwards make sure they are canbus compatible.

·
8,122 Posts
Hi Hoovie
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I can't see the photos (I know there's a photobucket problem). I'm trying to set my SWB shuttle lights the same as you've done (although yours is LWB). They say a picture paints a thousand word any chance you can describe or do you still have the photos saved elsewhere you could email?
Thanks
Jason
This is the thread post - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4214265&postcount=65
I have updated the links to show the images T:

I've not got a photo of how you alter the wiring to have the leisure battery feed the lights instead of the vehicle battery, but that is pretty easy to do - snip a wire in the loom that is exposed by taking the nearside dash side cap off and connecting a feed from the leisure battery instead.

What let me set up the lights as I did was the rear switch you get on a LWB Shuttle. Without that you would need to find a multiway switch or retrofit the LWB one (all these VW light fittings are just push fit, so it would be easy enough to mount one in the ceiling) and then just a matter of doing the wiring.

At the time of the original post, I had just made the change. Now over a year on, was it worth it? I actually found the ability to have just one row of lights on pretty handy, so I would do the same again :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Hoovie,

Also got a LWB Shuttle and want to run the lights off the leisure battery. Which wire did you connect to the leisure battery in the dash exactly? Thanks.

This is the thread post - Project "Ichabod", the Grey Shuttle
I have updated the links to show the images T:

I've not got a photo of how you alter the wiring to have the leisure battery feed the lights instead of the vehicle battery, but that is pretty easy to do - snip a wire in the loom that is exposed by taking the nearside dash side cap off and connecting a feed from the leisure battery instead.

What let me set up the lights as I did was the rear switch you get on a LWB Shuttle. Without that you would need to find a multiway switch or retrofit the LWB one (all these VW light fittings are just push fit, so it would be easy enough to mount one in the ceiling) and then just a matter of doing the wiring.

At the time of the original post, I had just made the change. Now over a year on, was it worth it? I actually found the ability to have just one row of lights on pretty handy, so I would do the same again :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts