VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just converting our new t5 (happy days!!) I have an 18 month old and a 3 year old, we can't afford to put a pop up roof in, but have got a 3/4 rock and roll bed,, was going to buy them ready beds and put them in the awning but just a bit weary of this option!? Any ideas? We have never co-slept with them so was hoping not to share?
Thanks guys H:

·
Registered
731 Posts
We have our 18 month old in a travel cot at the end of our rock and roll bed. He has used this from 2 months old when he started camping with us. You can get a front cab bed that sits on the door cards for the 3yr old. You can buy these or make your own from an old camp bed.
We do have a pop top, and our van in LWB so we have plenty of room for the travel cot. Sure it will still fit in a SWB though. T:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd sleep in the awning and the kids in the van if you can arrange some sort of bedding - cot type thing.

When they get older it's not a problem, we all slept in the awning on the last adventure!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Probably not a solution for you but we also have a 3/4 r&r and no pop top but have a 5 & 4 year old, as already mentioned we have a cab bed up front that they used to top and tail in but are now too big so the 5 year old has the cab bed and the 4 year old shares with us. Think we will eventually have to go down the pop top route eventually though as it's starting to get a bit snug as the kids are getting bigger.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We take a cot bed mattress for our 8 yr old that goes on the front seats. Did have a cab bunk made from a camp bed in the T4 we used to have. She managed to fall out of that once. No chance with the cot mattress.
She's a bit tall though, so will be getting a pop top next year.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Hi there.

We have a 12 month old and another coming up to 3. We have only just started our conversion too but are starting with a Pop Top next week.

We have camped with the van a few times this summer but have not yet slept in it, we all slept in the awning. I don't think that I would dare sleep in the van with the kids in the awning but would probably consider doing the opposite if I could ensure all of the doors were locked etc.

We have also got a camp bed that we are going to convert in to a cab bunk so we can have one up top and one in the front with us on the 3/4 r&r. Hopefully though they will both be up top for a while (as long as the wee one doesn't fall out)!

Make sure you get seat that will safely take the kids when travelling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Two up, two down no other way, would never attempt it without a poptop for sure! Might as well get a caravan if you're going to do the awning thing, but depends on how you spend your time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts