VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mrs nipped to the shop in the T4 (2.5tdi), came home and all was well when she switched it off. We went to start it in the morning and had nothing but a click. I suspected she had left the stereo on or a light so we tried to jump start it with no joy...still just getting a click.

Got a mate to come look, we put it in gear and rocked it a little, turned it over and within 1/2s the camshaft snapped, we could tell as my mate was watching the engine at the time and the pulley sort of popped out the side of the engine by 5-10mm.

So, I am hoping not alot of damage would have been caused as it wasn't running at the time but I have no idea why it snapped and that concerns me, any advise appreciated as to the cause and any likely damage.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Is the cambelt still good? Usual causes of snapped cam are belt snapping and valves hitting Pistons hitting cam. Although I have seen a remanufactured head that used cam bearing shells and span a shell, which caused the cam to lock solid and snap in 2 places.

Suspect you're looking at a new head or top end rebuild.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cambelts fine and intact....I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand head to keep the fix simple but didnt want to buy one if theres a problem that caused it and have the new one go aswell...

·
Registered
689 Posts
any problem you have that causes a camshaft to snap will be pretty obvious on the rebuild, if you put it all back together and the engines turning fine by hand i'd be happy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could it be vac pump siezed?
I dont know if it affects it but if thats the pump that clicks and stops when you press the brake pedal then....well mine was doing that but I was told it was fine to leave it like it. Previous owner said it had been like it for 8 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts