VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, originally posted under 'catastrophic failure of water pump'.
I said I would let you know how i was getting on, as this is the first time i have attempted this.
Only got down to the rocker/camshaft cover so far but this is what I found.

See if you can spot the problem! The centre clamp that holds the camshaft down, just to the left of the break there was also in 3 pieces. It was all in the right place so it was not rattling around in there, one good thing I guess.
Still have not got the water pump off yet so still have to diagnose original fault.
So what do we think? how much damage is under this head do we think? What do you folk reckon my chances are?

Will keep you informed as to what happens next.

Cheers for now

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah.. as above..valve must have taken hell of a smack to snap the cam! piston crowns might be a bit munched to..
and the worst case.. might have bent a conrod to!! keep up posted on your findings.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
valves destroyed and bent :( , aw engineering do a replacement cyl head
If you do go with the above mentioned company, make sure you give the new head a very careful inspection for swarf!

Couldn't believe the amount in mine, and when I ordered it the guy said I could just take it out the box and fit it! If I had, I have been in all sorts of trouble as soon as I turned the engine over!

·
Registered
185 Posts
There may still be hope dude, my cam was in 5 pieces and the head looked visually fine. It was only when a machine shop checked it they found that the valve seats had cracked. Not great but with only one crack you might be ok!! All the best dude T:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Pistons should be fine T:

new head though will be the cheapest option , i got mine from Ivor Searle Brand new complete with cam and lifter :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Ahh mine did that, still interested to see if it was the cam bearings that seized or the cambelt snapping that caused it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts