VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all new to the t4 side off vws just bought a nice van with engine knock read loads late in to last nigh on how to convert to tdi great posts fellas thanks for the just need two things to settle the nut lol transponder imob is this affected buy the conversion and the gear box im gessin will just bolt straight on if you could help it would be great cheer t4 buddies sorry for the spellin

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
hi all new to the t4 side off vws just bought a nice van with engine knock read loads late in to last nigh on how to convert to tdi great posts fellas thanks for the just need two things to settle the nut lol transponder imob is this affected buy the conversion and the gear box im gessin will just bolt straight on if you could help it would be great cheer t4 buddies sorry for the spellin
you use the g/box you have in the van, and you use the immobiliser from the donor vehicle (box, ring thing from around the ignition key and the chip from the donor vehicle key).

The is an imobilser guide in the technical section that covers this in more detail and has some nice pictures too.

when you do the swap, make sure that you do a build thread, we like build threads! T:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but thought I'd ask a simple if not slightly stupid question.
I got my conversion from a 2.4 to 1.9tdi with the help of a donor 1.9td van completed at the end of last year however I haven't yet changed the oil.
What oil should I use? Oil that's meant for a 1.9td T4 engine or oil that's meant for a 1.9tdi mk3 golf engine?
Also as I will be topping it up with a different brand do I need to do a smplete oil change?

Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid/obvious question
thx D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but thought I'd ask a simple if not slightly stupid question.
I got my conversion from a 2.4 to 1.9tdi with the help of a donor 1.9td van completed at the end of last year however I haven't yet changed the oil.
What oil should I use? Oil that's meant for a 1.9td T4 engine or oil that's meant for a 1.9tdi mk3 golf engine?
Also as I will be topping it up with a different brand do I need to do a smplete oil change?

Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid/obvious question
thx D
Give the service dept the reg of your donor car and they will give you the correct oil! Think it's the same as the van anyway

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

thanks to the massive efforts of other members on this forum, (too many to mention by name) I have finally managed to complete my transplant, AAB to AHU, complete with VR6 clutch, AHU intake manifold, EGR blanking, Transit FM intercooler and fifth gear swap to 0.71.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

I changed all the suspension joints and shocks/bushes while it was off the road, so when I test drove, it was like a new van, I am now baffled as to why VW didn't do this themselves, may have had a very negaive effect on T5 sales. I have been asked twice in the last month to sell, offered good twine too.
My response is It can be "wrenced from my cold dead hand".

So what's it like?

Lighter, tighter, stronger, faster and cheaper to run. I have 2000 miles up on mine already, I drive it everywhere, and am getting over 40 mpg with a heavy right foot. I swear I have driven plenty of good cars that don't feel anywhere near as nice to drive. Suffice to say, if you own a T4, put a 1.9 TDI in it, in my opinion it's even better than a 2.5 TDI. (My previous van was a 102 BHP 2.5 Syncro)

I would like to give a big thankyou to all those who contribute here and in particular to T:PENBRYNT: for convincing me to go for TDI instead of M-TDI. It really is a plug and play swap, trust me.

First in Ireland? Not that it matters.

Thanks all

Steve

:DA very very happy T4 Owner.:D

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi all,

thanks to the massive efforts of other members on this forum, (too many to mention by name) I have finally managed to complete my transplant, AAB to AHU, complete with VR6 clutch, AHU intake manifold, EGR blanking, Transit FM intercooler and fifth gear swap to 0.71.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

I changed all the suspension joints and shocks/bushes while it was off the road, so when I test drove, it was like a new van, I am now baffled as to why VW didn't do this themselves, may have had a very negaive effect on T5 sales. I have been asked twice in the last month to sell, offered good twine too.
My response is It can be "wrenced from my cold dead hand".

So what's it like?

Lighter, tighter, stronger, faster and cheaper to run. I have 2000 miles up on mine already, I drive it everywhere, and am getting over 40 mpg with a heavy right foot. I swear I have driven plenty of good cars that don't feel anywhere near as nice to drive. Suffice to say, if you own a T4, put a 1.9 TDI in it, in my opinion it's even better than a 2.5 TDI. (My previous van was a 102 BHP 2.5 Syncro)

I would like to give a big thankyou to all those who contribute here and in particular to T:PENBRYNT: for convincing me to go for TDI instead of M-TDI. It really is a plug and play swap, trust me.

First in Ireland? Not that it matters.

Thanks all

Steve

:DA very very happy T4 Owner.:D
I think we all share your sentiments bud, loving mine too after 3 or more years of running it. Mines long in the tooth now with over 230k on the clock but once all the hard work is done there are plenty of cheap engines with lower miles to swap it with. Niall has been a massive help to all of us, as has Aggie for starting the trend in the first place, hats off to them both T:T:T:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi all,

Love hearing stuff like this above, I am just gathering the last few things I need to do the converstion over the winter months. Just wondered for some advice, which intercooler to put on? I have a top mount & a t5 front intercooler & have heard different opions which is best? - I ve heard heat sink for top mounts & turbo lag on front mounts.

So what's the truth & which are people running?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, first time to post on here been a member for a while now. I have been doing a conversion for few month in spare time following the threads on here (very helpful), the stage I am at now is the engine and box are in, the ecu in wiring loom in, new cam belt was fitted when engine was out. and this is were i now have a problem the timing marks are still all correct as they still line up spot on, but when turning the engine it locks up after about 200 degrees from tdc, when I done the belt there was no gearbox on or sump and it was turning perfect for ages, as in the gear box it only has the original fly wheel and clutch from donor car(1.9tdi) and this drove in. i was thinking could it be the oil pickup or the shield that goes in side, should i of used the oil pick up and the metal shield that goes around it from the car or as I have done used the one from 1.9td, any help will be helpful thanks. also do I use the fuse box from the car (1.9tdi) one or keep the original one from T4 (1.9td)

:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone, please message me, my engine is on it's last legs and I have decided to put a tdi in my 1.9 1993 t4 is it easy/possible, and how, aka any guides or anyone who someone has used who is good on price and good standards, please do message me I really need help, Jordi

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi everyone, please message me, my engine is on it's last legs and I have decided to put a tdi in my 1.9 1993 t4 is it easy/possible, and how, aka any guides or anyone who someone has used who is good on price and good standards, please do message me I really need help, Jordi
I'm just getting everything sorted to do the conversion myself on a 1994 1.9D
Have got an AHU engine that ive stripped and cleaned up. Just waiting for the ABL turbo etc.
Trimmed down the loom and just generally making sure i have everything before i rip out the useless diesel lump.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi every one,
I have a quetion to ask,
I have just sorted a 2002 1.9 tdi golf will the engine fit my t4
Or dose it have to be a 1996 1z engine
Jee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. Never posted before but have found out quite a bit of advice on here.
My poor 1.9td has died and have been pondering a Tdi conversion.
I am not really skilled with a socket set, so am looking for a garage in Plymouth to do the job for me (at a reasonable price of course).
Does anyone know of a mechanic or garage that would take the job on?
Thanks in advance.
Vin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone. I´m coru from Madrid, Spain. I´ve already finished my tdi conversion from a 1.9 td abl. Thank you to all of you who has published in the forum all the information necesary that let me done well. In a few days I will published some pics. Thank you to the forum community and congratulations for this great web page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello T4 world :) is there any other type of engine that can go into a 1.9TD or is it only the 1.9tdi? Also which 1.9tdi engine is best to use?
I been looking about and it's normal TDI converted I'm looking for something different if possible??

Thank you

Duggy

21 - 40 of 41 Posts