VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Today I did something so utterly stupid that even I'm still amazed :(

Today I was changing the fuel filter on the campervan and needed some diesel to fill the new one up. I already had some in a jar from when i was testing a diesel heater but it wasn't enough, so I decided to syphon some more out. I re-used a 2 1/2 foot long piece of hosepipe that i had used before, but just as i was about to suck i thought it was a bit too long and needed cutting down a bit. so instead of taking the pipe out of the filler neck i held it with one hand and used the other to cut it down with a stanley knife. When i did the last cut it slipped out of my hand and slid down into the tank! :bhd

So I now have 2 feet of hosepipe (black on the inside covered with a green covering) laying at the bottom of the tank and have been told that even if it does break down it will take at least 20 Years. I'm not so sure on the length of time it will take to start breaking down but the alternative is taking the tank off which I can't do as I'm going away in it tomorrow :eek:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Just take off the inspection cover, between the seats and retrieve itT:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
If it's 2' long it will probably be still in the filler neck, unless it was really soft hose

·
Registered
377 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I managed to have a disagreement with a UNI-Part delivery van today - namely she saw me reversing, let me go then changed her mind and tried to squeeze through anyway.

Luckily the T4 is like a tank and had a smashed light on the back and some paint gone from the bumper where as her van... well let the pics do the talking...

Can't believe I have lasted 15 years of driving (mainly vans to) and never had an accident. Least no one was hurt.

Guessing my protected NCB wont be worth bugger all tho - it'll still be all the amunition the insurance need to double my premium I bet T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just take off the inspection cover, between the seats and retrieve itT:
Do you think I would be able to get my arm in and grab it if its laying below the filler neck?

If it's 2' long it will probably be still in the filler neck, unless it was really soft hose
I slipped down like a new boat slipping into the harbour so I don't think Its still in the neck :(

If it makes you feel any better I managed to have a disagreement with a UNI-Part delivery van today - namely she saw me reversing, let me go then changed her mind and tried to squeeze through anyway.

Luckily the T4 is like a tank and had a smashed light on the back and some paint gone from the bumper where as her van... well let the pics do the talking...

Can't believe I have lasted 15 years of driving (mainly vans to) and never had an accident. Least no one was hurt.

Guessing my protected NCB wont be worth bugger all tho - it'll still be all the amunition the insurance need to double my premium I bet T:

Hopefully she won't claim it's your fault but I have had exactly the same happen to me years ago. Luckily my altercation with her car was done in a private car park and as it was just a KA it only cost about £50 for the snap on bumpers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Remove the passenger seat and drivers seat, roll back the rubber mat and unscrew the screws holding the inspection hatch. Easy job, should be done in less than an hour. You don't actually need to remove the drivers seat, but for what it's worth to take it out it makes rolling the mat back for access easier

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Depends how big your hand isI:
You should be able to see into the tank and use a bamboo cane or something similar, from memory I think I could get my hand in after removing the cap.
Google "vw t4 fuel tank" and view images, if you can't find a pic let me knowT:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Spanners and Dave I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and let you know how I got on T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not a fuel story, but years ago I was staying in Kent, just setting off for home on a frozen morning...(150 miles to drive) and thought I would wind down the window to scrape ice off...T:

So there was a small clunk as the glass was frozen solid but the winder etc popped off the glass and wound down inside the door.:confused:

Stopping at a lay by, I wandered round to the passenger door and played with the electric switch. And once free of ice the glass would move down, but not up again. So gripping the glass I moved it once more to the up position. I: And tried the switch one last time.

Remember 150 miles freezing weather. 1 Half Wit. A:

I remember thinking at the time...that's not clever as I watched the glass slide down inside the door, never to come back out. :eek:

Felt a right knob after that. (I did find a garage that could get in and wedge the glass back up for me before I froze to death)

:D

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I changed the oil in my car and instead of putting the waste oil in a sealed container I took it to the recycling centre in the oil tray, as it was only a couple of miles up the road. Unfortunately I forgot about the tight bend on the road to the recycling centre. Result? About a litre of old engine oil spilled in the front passenger footwell. Oh well, the rubber mat covers the black stain

·
Registered
591 Posts
On an old bay the water bottle and the brake reservoir are in front of the steering column. I couldn't see any fluid in either, stupidly I tried to fill the water bottle with brake fluid! Luckily I realised before using the washers

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had a temporary loss of competence LOL:

Btw I managed to get the pipe out via the inspection cover and I also found a large piece of broken plastic that was also sitting at the bottom of the tank :*

One thing I have noticed is the sender doesnt seem to be reading the fuel level as high as it was and I know its back in right and sitting correctly. I seem to remember Years ago that a sender never worked right once you removed it but now It'ss been in a few days it seems to be working better.

Anyway thanks to Spanners and Dave and keep the lapses of intelligence coming ;)

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had a temporary loss of competence LOL:

Btw I managed to get the pipe out via the inspection cover and I also found a large piece of broken plastic that was also sitting at the bottom of the tank :*

One thing I have noticed is the sender doesnt seem to be reading the fuel level as high as it was and I know its back in right and sitting correctly. I seem to remember Years ago that a sender never worked right once you removed it but now It'ss been in a few days it seems to be working better.

Anyway thanks to Spanners and Dave and keep the lapses of intelligence coming ;)
You're welcomeT:

Did you manage to get your hand in

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're welcomeT:

Did you manage to get your hand in
Yes mate and I could of got my elbow in at a push :D

You saved me a lot of grief as I wasn't happy about leaving a length of hose in the tank, even though everyone I spoke to said it would take decades to break down. I still have 2 pieces of the hose sitting in a jar of diesel so I can monitor it 'when' it does start to break down. I reckon I'm in for a long weight LOL:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts