VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got our house on the market at the mo, seen a place we'd like to make an offer on, got the calculator out and was shocked at the cost of the stamp duty:eek:

WTF does this pay for exactly??????? :*rds :bhd

Sorry rant over, It's not the first time I've been there, and I know everyone has to pay it but why?

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Tell me about it, if the 3rd party agree, you could come to an arragement to pay say £249999 for the house, then buy the garden shed for the remainder, this would get round the 3%, but, it's a gamble ... The inland rev have something like 10 years to investigate if they think foul play.
Stamp duty is daylight robbery !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone at work is buying a house and their solicitors offered them a way to only pay 50% of the stamp duty. I think there is a strange loophole that has been used by the government before (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labours-tax-dodge-on-sale-of-hq-saved-163210000-stamp-duty-427849.html) something about setting up a company to buy the house then selling the house back to you after 6 months. His solicitors sorted all this out for them but charged 50% of the stamp duty cost. Not sure it sounds that legit but if the government has done it I guess it's unlikely you'd get into trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts