VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! jsut recently bought a t4 2.5tdi, am going to convert the back out, but im struggling on justifying the price of 'rock and roll' beds! Anyone got any ideas? Any cheap ways of making them yourself?
Cheers :ILU:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi mate, I suppose it depends on whether you're planning on using as a proper seat or just a bed. If its just a bed then maybe buy the rock and roll hinges then make up the rest from some timber/mdf sheets. If its going to be used as a seat as well whilst moving then there are all sorts of safety issues to address, try a search on rear seats, this may help T: Here's a link to a set of hinges on ebay that might be of use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rock-and-Roll...s_SM?hash=item20acf5ed6b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Just campers are doing a special offer on 3/4 rock and roll beds for 50 quid but they're only for bay windows. Don't know how much work it would involve to adapt them but might be worth looking into T:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Tell me about it its :* ridiculous that a f* seat can cost more than the van 2 grand! f* that keep hunting fella Ive just got a bluebird customs Rn'R secondhand off here

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
some go for an ikea folding bed, about 50 sheets but needs a little modding i think.

have your self a searchT:

·
Registered
504 Posts
i agree my ikea bed is the best thing i've bought bed wise. i just lenghtened the legs by 50mm and added plates to the bottom to fasten it down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first t4 & post so be gentle! I'm looking into the ikea bed, which one in partic did you use is it straight forward to attatch belts?:confused:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
r & r beds, they do very seem expensive for a load of welded metal poles, have one in my van and it is great, but if others are doing it cheaper with seat belts, go for this option, it will be lighter and be of your design to meet your needs, also save you a packet:D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The ikea bed is the lycksele model, some people buy the double and then chop it down and reweld it to make it narrower, I just bought the single and overlaid the slats with wider ply to make it 3/4 size. It was £38 when I bought it last month but it has gone up now to £50.
See my thread (click link) on how I adapted it.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41774&highlight=ikea+bed

I also bought the matress for double version of this bed, as the covers are removable, im going to cut the matress down to the same width as the bed. Matress is the Lovas model and very comfortable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
hi guys and girls i have fitted triple seat by the sliding door that folds forward then built mdf box in the back so when the seats are folded down they are the same height and makes up your bed and you have loads of storage under it and you have 5 seats ! works really well for me but may not be wot you are looking to do did have fold up bed from argos and fitted right between the rear arches was good but not much storage good luck T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts