VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to T4 ownership.
I've just took the plunge and bought a 1991 T4 2.4 AAB swb camper (lhd import from Germany) 163k miles on the clock.
Anyway, the last owner had the timing belt done and it is quite smokey and has poor MPG (averaging 25-26mpg at 70mph cruising).
Having done the obvious online forums trawling it sounds to me like it could well be a mild pump timing issue and requiring properly set up with one of those pulse detector things. This is beyond my skills which are limited to the basics - oil changes, brakes etc. It also has an oil leak I'd like to have sourced and fixed if it is economic to do so.
So, my question is does anyone know of a mechanic based in the NW who is well experienced in the ways of the 2.4 AAB and able to properly set the timing to see if this improves things?
It is a really good van apart from the thirsty and smokey engine so I think it would be worth getting it sorte out (Carthago conversion -pop top, solid body, original VW conversion with proper windows, sunroof, bed etc). I intend on using it a lot and would really like to be able to better 30mpg. It will still pull 80mph so power isn't too badly affected.
Many thanks for any help,
Rory

·
Registered
34 Posts
jumping on this thread. Does anyone know of a good VW mechanic in th eSouth Manchester area? I have a Sportline which needs a few things looking at.
All the best
Feela

1 - 6 of 6 Posts