VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As titled, Can I clean inlet ports in the head without removing from block or should it be separated, striped etc.
Basically I have removed egr cleaned and blanked also removed and cleaned the inlet manifold.
Engine is out as changing gearbox and sorting a oil leak.

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
As titled, Can I clean inlet ports in the head without removing from block or should it be separated, striped etc.
Basically I have removed egr cleaned and blanked also removed and cleaned the inlet manifold.
Engine is out as changing gearbox and sorting a oil leak.
when I did the tdi for my '95 I had the engine on a stand, rotated till 'twas upside-down & went a-diggin then used celli-thinners & bottle-brush...

bloody mess & a few hours with soakin but got loadsacrap out T:

the inlet manifold I attacked with a blow-torch I:

LOL:

although I've seen some nice & clean & others almost closed up with Gack :eek: why vw used that system I'll never understand, must be one of those stupid EU regulations designed to spoil our fun :*

Rich.

Premium Member
You will find that the inlet valve shafts / underside of valve heads & ports will be nearly coked solid with gummy deposits that need a brass wire brush to clean ~ removing the head is the only way to really tackle this job effectively; if you've got the engine on a stand, removing the head is the logical next step & it's relatively easy :ILU:

Registered
How bad are yours - do you have pictures?

When I did mine (engine still in) I found that the oily residue had not been baked dry in head. The heat from the turbo had not been able to cook it, as that's what I think happens on one side of the inlet manifold.
I literally just wiped the inlet ports with a cloth.

The other thing is that the ports will self clean over time... With a totally clean inlet track, and no exhaust soot entering the manifold, all of the by-pass oil will be washing over the sides. This should eventually clean off any residual soot/oil gunk from the inlet, though it won't do the valves I guess as that'll be cooked on.

Premium Member
The other thing is that the ports will self clean over time...
You reckon ?

Look at these pics from a 195k engine ~ the valve & ports needed wire brushing as the deposits are hard; also note where small pieces are breaking away & causing burns in the valve seat - very risky to leave :ILU:

Registered
Yes..., well the outer section on mine will self clean as it was just black grease substance in there. That will eventually be diluted and swept into the cylinder.
The hard crust near the valves will not..., and as you stated, it might break off (or wash off) and be swept in. Whether it goes in & out cleanly or burns the valve seats is just chance.
Not worth taking the head off for though, however if my engine was out I would be right in the ports with al-sorts of brushes.:D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was looking for a easy way out, think your way is right hobbyhorse.
I was hoping to put engine back in this weekend, but I know I would be kicking myself not doing it properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts