VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking to fit new tyres and have seen good deal on some audi ones which are 5x112, 225x50x17 the offset is 29.

everything else seems fine im just not sure of the offset.

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tyres are rated at 615kg

any idea where I would find load rating of audi wheels?

The van I have is will be fitted with full width rock and roll bed and kitchen pod only.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
Doesn't matter if the van is totally empty...legality means the tyres must be rated at what it says on the sticker on door pillar.
615 is LOW. (Load Index of 91....MY van requires 99 LI minimum)
Finding the ratings of OEM wheels is almost impossible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll actually need to look at what’s on the van just now as well, I bought it with 225/40/18 alloys and tyres.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
I think the lowest rating for a T4 is 94LI....on the "lightweight" specials.
Many people ignore it, but your insurance is "null and void" if the wheels/tyres are not suitable.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hi, some alloys are stamped regarding max load rating , might be worth whipping a wheel off and having a look.👍

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
Only "after market" wheels have ratings stamped on them. (Hopefully)
Manufacturers make/use wheels made for a specific vehicle...so no LI/rating markings needed.
You'll often see the same "design" of wheel on (say) different Audis, but if you look at the price catalogue, they will vary in price for each vehicle (NOT just to rip you off, but even though they appear the same, they will have different strengths).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total mind field with the wheels it would seem.

I’ve started looking at some 16” Mercedes ML wheels, the seller can’t find a load rating on them. Hopefully these will be a bit closer. They come without tyres so at least I can ensure they have lost rated tyres.

would I be right in saying most Mercedes ML wheels need spigot rings?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Only "after market" wheels have ratings stamped on them. (Hopefully)
Manufacturers make/use wheels made for a specific vehicle...so no LI/rating markings needed.
You'll often see the same "design" of wheel on (say) different Audis, but if you look at the price catalogue, they will vary in price for each vehicle (NOT just to rip you off, but even though they appear the same, they will have different strengths).
I never knew it was only aftermarket wheels which were stamped, learn something everyday eh .👍

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
I’ve started looking at some 16” Mercedes ML wheels, the seller can’t find a load rating on them. Hopefully these will be a bit closer. They come without tyres so at least I can ensure they have lost rated tyres.

would I be right in saying most Mercedes ML wheels need spigot rings?
Mercedes also use wheels "rated" to suit the vehicle....so if the "listed" maximum load is over 2.5 tonnes, you should be OK.

Almost all wheels will need spigot rings....cheap to buy, just need the correct inside/outside diameter.

You'll also find that (even if they don't look so "tough"), the 16" with correct tyres will be a 100% improvement on ride over the 18s you have!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be fair to the guy selling them he did say that it would drive much better. He’s looking for £140 for them. You think that reasonable? They do look pretty much perfect.

what size of tyres would you look to fit? 215 65 16, 205 65 16?

Set of 4 tyres? Just over £200? Doesn’t need to be Michelin but don’t want to buy a cheap set of ditch finders!!

thanks for the advice

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some big Volkswagen Audi group cars for instance are quite hefty so you would be okay with wheels off a phaeton or A8. 2003 phaeton weigh in at around 3 tons and an A8 around 2 tons. Think they will be a similar fitment ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll have a look for these.

ideally I am wanting to go down to a maximum of 17” for comfort I think

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
17" IS about the maximum you can go on this old suspension system.
Handling (corners) is better, but you still have a lack of rubber sidewall on the tyres.
16" is the "sweet spot", which is probably why VW used them on the up-market vehicles.

Whatever you go for, make sure your insurance company are informed....otherwise, you'll have no cover in an accident!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finding the ratings of OEM wheels is almost impossible.
I found this site quite useful: Audi VW Original Felge 4F0 601 025 AK - 8-V-Speichen Design Ringmitte - especially using the google 'translate' feature. My camper came with these wheels fitted and I'm now looking for some 235/55 r17 tyres to replace the 235/45s currently fitted. Should be comfier ride and better mpg plus more accurate speedo. Suggestions of tyres welcome. Thinking of Bridgestone Turanza? at the mo.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
"Traglast 690kg".......

WELL under rated!!
My van has front axle weight of 1510Kg....so needs 750kg rated wheels at least.
Also need a 99LI rating on tyres.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Or_G.

Max Authorised Mass for my van is 1350 front, 1380 rear. MAM total = 2590kg.
690 x 2 = 1380.
x 2 = 2760.
Okay, not vastly over spec; - but specs is specs. So why "WELL under rated !!"?

Regarding my van - any helpful suggestions, especially re. tyres?
FWIW my unladen weight is 2057kg and I always travel light and rarely/never over 70.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts