VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got 5 kids under 12 (12,10,5,1,1) and love VW campervans (had two T3's).

Due to kids I want an all round day VW van/mini bus with 8/9 seats for our family + gran, but also want a pop top (or high roof) and a rock'n'roll / double bed, so some of us can sleep in van and others in small tent outside when we're away. Would also like to remove middle seats for space if only a few of us are going away the odd weekend.

Really not sure whether to get a panel van and get it converted or whether this is a stupid idea and I should do something else.

Thinking T5s as don't want to break down in France with kids!

Also don't want to waste money but expect to spend around 15k all in, for a decent conversion and van. Is that realistic?

Any advice or comments much appreciated,

Cheers,

Rick

·
Special Rapporteur
10,156 Posts
I suspect not, if you rule out very high mileage vans and ones that are really knocked about. I don't think you can expect to fit that much into a SWB, so that limits the range of vans that you can look at too. With that number of occupants it's quite easy to try to jam so much into a small van that it does nothing very well at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You should be able to get a low mileage older one 08ish and get a pop top fitted and some sort of bed in the back with that budget easy i would say, but it depends where your buying it from, you will get more for your money private, i would buy a panel van personally because there are more about and factory 9 seaters will most likely be old taxis, plus if you want a bed in the back you can think of you own layout and add lights wherever you want ect.

I got a nice 9 seater shuttle for 6K in blue 2005 176k miles but had the engine completely rebuilt, there's bargains out there you need to spend a lot of time looking though.

T4s are pretty solid also if you like the look of them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Agreed. To seat 8/9 people you will need a Shuttle - an ex-taxi would be your best bet and dont be put off by high mileage! Taxis tend to be well-maintained as they have to work for a living and a 2.5 driven at motorway speeds will last forever. Mine is an ex-taxi and has now covered 260,000 miles (plus its an automatic on the original gearbox so dont believe all those stories about them being unreliable....). Rather than trying to work out how to use it as a camper have you considered using those French camp sites which provide tent accommodation fully equipped with everything you need - you then dont need to carry or erect your own tent!
A long wheelbase version will give you an extra 40cms of luggage space so that would something else to bear in mind.
Welcome to the forum and BigTel reminded me a couple of days ago about the regular meeting at the Seaford Martello Tower on the first Sunday of the month - you can meet other Transporter nutters and get ideas from them........

·
Registered
69 Posts

We too have five kids, 6, 4, 3, and 5 month twins, we went down the panel Van route and have customer the van our requirements, definitely more satisfying than buying someone else's ideasT:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would say it's possible to buy a panel van and convert it. We've got a basic 06 1.9 tdi (£6k 5 years ago), had caravelle rails and triple seat fitted and side windows (£2.7k) and probably spent about £500 on carpeting electrics etc which I did myself. You can get a pop top for £2.7k fitted from just kampers and a decent drive away awning for less than £500 to give you extra sleeping/ living space. The caravelle seat option does give you lots of flexibility for space and all are removable should you need it.

Good luck T:

Oh and I'm saving for a remap which you can get for £300 for upto 160bhp :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts