VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the lens on my T4 SWB, getting it legal in France. Thanks to the answers from another post I can now get the headlight assembly off.

Getting the lens off seems another kettle of fish. I was hoping for some clips but it seems well and truly bonded in place, a fairly solid glue or something.

Any ideas on what to do or will I have to spring for complete headlight assemblies ?

I'd bought just the lens pretty cheap on ebay, roughly €35 including postage, a lot less than full assemblies and damn all T4's to be found in breakers yards in France.

Best regards , Colm

·
Registered
621 Posts
Put it in the oven from cold then set to 140c when it reaches temp use 2 blunt knifes to twist the glass away, to replace put back in the oven let it get upto temp then quickly put the clips back on and allow to cool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen, I can see my wife wondering how the hell sh'll get the smell of burning plastic out of the house but, hey, I have an oven, and it'll get up to 140°C so I'm game.

@christoffer : What exactly is "pu adhesive" ? Is this something I can buy in "normal" hardware/DIY shops ?

@davelikesdiesel : I'm not quite sure what was meant by the reference to clips ? Are there clips inside the lens ?

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
621 Posts
Gentlemen, I can see my wife wondering how the hell sh'll get the smell of burning plastic out of the house but, hey, I have an oven, and it'll get up to 140°C so I'm game.

@christoffer : What exactly is "pu adhesive" ? Is this something I can buy in "normal" hardware/DIY shops ?

@davelikesdiesel : I'm not quite sure what was meant by the reference to clips ? Are there clips inside the lens ?

Thanks for the advice
I'm actually referring to my long nose headlights, I took them apart to make them rhd using some ford puma parts, my headlight glass is physically clipped to the housing and when I removed the clips I expected the glass to come away but it didn't, on closer inspection my headlights was also bonded together which I did try to separate but kept chipping the edge, a quick look on youtube and the answer was to put the whole headlight in the oven from cold so the headlight warms up with the oven and it doesn't crack the glass, just take your time and you will be fineT:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just acquired a set of short nose headlights, I've removed the plastic surrounds/ bulbs and placed in. A cold oven and set to 150, I then removed from oven and twisted a blunt knife between lens and the unit and it's came away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts