VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As per the title .......

I'm currently using metal polish by Auto Glym, pretty much the same as Autosolve, but I'm running out of it fast.
I was in the awful predicament a couple months back where I was unable to remove my Borbets, and they have suffered due to bad weather >>

Definitely not my favorite task ! .......... I couldn't feel my fingers after a few hours of rubbing :( >>

I've got both Farecla G3 and G10, as it's a rubbing compound and so is metal polish is it OK to use ?

Trying to get them back to their former glory. The rim was actually a mirror finish when I got them, should I have sprayed them with something first to protect them ?

TURK

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I have absolutely NO knowledge of this , as I prefer steels ... But , if you are committed to alloys , would have thought a professional re-furb polish and laquer would save you a lot of time , numb fingers , etc..?? (unless you need free time from other stuff?)

·
Registered
82 Posts
g3 may have something in it that might have an adverse affect on the bare metal, id stick to proper metal polish as its designed for that purpose, however have you considered getting a polishing wheel? would make it a lot easier?

sam

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
G3 etc is paint cutting compound
Ive used it on mirror polished alloys and it dulls them
I use Mothers Mag and Alloy polish and protect
The stuff is great and out of all the product i used it was the best finish i ever got T:
Some samples

proper polish to go with some proper rims...

T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G3 etc is paint cutting compound
Ive used it on mirror polished alloys and it dulls them
I use Mothers Mag and Alloy polish and protect
The stuff is great and out of all the product i used it was the best finish i ever got T:
Just about what I was expecting to hear from the guys in the know T:

I was hoping to use something I already have in stock, however, I suspected that Farecla was intended for other uses, as I only use it on painted surfaces like bodywork.

Loads on ebay including powerball ........ looks like I'll be getting some then !

Cheers Paul T:

BTW ........ nice rims.

TURK

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
My brother is always polishing the alloys on his artic. He and his gear jammer mates swear by "PEEK" metal polish. Not sure if any good for this application?T:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Peek is good but you do need elbow grease, just bought from Aldi a polishing kit for £4, its got two rag wheels and two polishing sticks with the spindle for a drill, definatly worth £4 and the best way to sort out your wheels

Madguy T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts