VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening

Just flicking through eBay looking at potential vans for a build and have noticed the amount of 5.1's that are already showing some whopping mileages! What's peoples thoughts on this, I know the famed 'VW reliability' is the first thing people talk about but it takes a lot of convincing to part with £12,000+ for a van which has done 130k, 140k or even more??

I am not sure if eBay is perhaps the best place to look, lots of sellers appear to be buying basic vans, tarting them up with a sport line kit and some black wheels and whacking a load on the price???

Don't get me wrong I realise you pay for what you get, but I am not blessed with a limitless budget and have other commitments (mortgage and young family) so can't be too reckless. I am desperate for a van and I see them everywhere on the road so it must be possible, it's just finding the best source I guess.

Anyone got any thoughts or words of wisdom??

Si

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps both valid points, I do have access to the auctions at BCA so did consider taking a trip down there and trying to source an ex lease/fleet van - had a look online and they appear to have sensible guides just have to remember the VAT.

Also wrestling with the dilemma of the DIY build or handing or over to someone and whilst the latter is effortless I have been amazed at how much the 'conversion' packages cost!! Back along a friend of mine bought a very expensive 'Benleys' van and whilst it looked the part, up close and personal the finish was really poor. I guess the benefit of doing it yourself is you can do things as you go along, I am not after a full blown camper but just a real comfortable day can for day trips and weekends away with the family. I guess when you rule out the expensive pop-top, electrical systems, gas installations then the DIY route is probably best.

As a base I just need a decent Kombi to start and I can go from there, got a 4 year old daughter so want her nice and secure in the back on a proper VW seat to start I think.

Si

·
Registered
660 Posts
You can set a saved search on ebay on your phone so every newly added T5 that goes on it will pop up on your phone.

It's the only reason I got mine, the guy listed it then about 6 minutes later I was on my way to view it and he ended up putting his phone on silent while I was there he was having so many calls! There a popular van.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The mileages aren't really whopping are they? I take your point about being up on miles for year but don't confuse that with being worn out, ie: talking about reliability issues. Nothing to worry about in my opinion and still under ave if the van was 4 or 5 yrs old like an early gp would be.
To be more constructive I would say keep focussing on what's the best value van out there for you. What do you need or really want and what bothers you less etc.
I think your Kombi idea could be good way to go, keep looking and let your ideas develop!
Hope you get what your after T:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
This topic has been covered many times........try VW Approved used vans for a low miles straight van........then take it to Colin at Oxford T5 who will Combi it for you with a fitting certificate. Next step is VAN DOC for your mobile window fitting.
Last step is insulation and carpet which is an easy DIY task!
Trust me, .......This will save you time and money........now crack on, springs around the corner!:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
My 2010 kombi is coming up to 140k and drives great. Had the driveshaft done, but is still on its original clutch. I've recently got rid of my vmaxx cack and fitted Bilstiens with new top mounts, and them steering is like a 10k van.

Pendled around 90k and lost the DPF, which I think has helped. We did 2500 miles over the New Year break driving to Venice and back with no issues, getting 36 mpg average.

Don't be afraid of high mileage if the history is right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts