VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My boss has recently said that I can no longer take holidays in sep, Oct, nov and dec, I think this is a bit unfair just because I'm more relied upon, does anyone know if this is even legal? I love going away in the van in sep as it's always loads cheaper and still nice weather.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It is legal as long as he warns u 6 weeks in advance of any change in effect. Many companys do this due to xmass rush and staffing etc. Sorry buddy!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Having said that if he has singled u out purely for your skill set id seek advice as its normaly blanket delivered across a work force. Any role should have adequate cover in place for holidays etc so i would seriously question this if its just you!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replays guys, I've had a bit of a read and it seems he can, it's a bit much I think though to be honest 4 months so il have to have a another chat with him, also it is only against certain staff, office staff seem to be getting away with it.

You work harder for a better position and more money and all you end up with is more junk more bills and no time :* not sure why I bother.

ThanksT:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If as you say that office staff "get away with it" and those staff were, for example, predominantly female, you could make a case for gender discrimination.

Although it's great to have a bit of work to go to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi mate

We just been through the same issue at my work they tried to tell us that you have to take 1 week between jam and April then 2 weeks between April and sep then tried to say no holiday could be taken in March and fist week April and non September you can imagine the uproar.
Bottom line is what does your contract say with regards to holiday?
Mine basic said 22 days hoilday to be taken between jan and end of dec.
I contacted my union and they told me if it's not standard practice they couldn't enforce changes as it's a change of contract they would have to consult with you and for you to agree to it before they can make you so it.

Why not look at joining a union and asking them to help you with it costs around £11 a month but the company you work for will soon realise they can't enforce it.

First you need to put it in writing or send a email to your company HR department or boss if you don't have one tell them it's a change of contract, it's unfair and you feel you have a grievence against the company and your talking to your union with regards to the situation and watch em weep when the realise they have dropped a bollock my company did never got to involving union.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My contract says just standard holidays I forgot how many but it's just the usual amount there's nothing about this in it yet, il have to have a look into joining a union it would be nice to have someone else on my side.

Hopefully we can agree to just no holidays out, nov and dec as we are only really busy in the last 2 months anyway, it's only really September I'm bothered about.

Thanks for the help T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also went down the line of saying I allways book my hoilday early in the year giving them as much notice as possible to allow cover when needed. Just search on line for union as many different ones depending on your type of job may take 14 day or so after joining for them to act for you but they are great to have on your side.
Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi mate

We just been through the same issue at my work they tried to tell us that you have to take 1 week between jam and April then 2 weeks between April and sep then tried to say no holiday could be taken in March and fist week April and non September you can imagine the uproar.
Bottom line is what does your contract say with regards to holiday?
Mine basic said 22 days hoilday to be taken between jan and end of dec.
I contacted my union and they told me if it's not standard practice they couldn't enforce changes as it's a change of contract they would have to consult with you and for you to agree to it before they can make you so it.

Why not look at joining a union and asking them to help you with it costs around £11 a month but the company you work for will soon realise they can't enforce it.

First you need to put it in writing or send a email to your company HR department or boss if you don't have one tell them it's a change of contract, it's unfair and you feel you have a grievence against the company and your talking to your union with regards to the situation and watch em weep when the realise they have dropped a bollock my company did never got to involving union.

Hope this helps
We had a union at my last place and everyone was for it at the start but as time went by people got peed off with paying monthly fees that rose annually and our pay never did, slowly people left the union and it became known by the management that it only had to recognise the union if a certain percentage of the workforce were part of it, needless to say it frazzled out and we went back to square one.
Don't know if it's like that now ? :*
Point is if your gonna join a union try and get as many people as you can involved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts