VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving today with no problems then noticed my gearbox was stiff when trying to get in to 4th, then couple of minutes later problem seemed to have gone away. Eventually after a few more mins had to slow, selected 2nd then suddenly when I tried to change up - NOTHING - I could not move out of 2nd nor into neutral. No warning noise like the gearbox had gone. Just before being recovered the mechanic looked at it -after a bit of fiddling with engine off was able to eventually select neutral, but still only second. When engine on, gears very stiff - able with a fight to get neutral and 2nd only. Any ideas - is it a cable problem or whole gearbox. clutch seems to let me into 2nd ok so assume its gears:*.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,227 Posts
I had a similar thing on mine a few weeks ago. It wouldn't go into reverse a couple of times and it felt a bit mushy generally. It's worth checking the nut on the top of gearchange remote under the bonnet. On mine it was about half a turn loose and all I needed to do was tighten it up. You will need to take the coolant bottle off to get at it. It's not easy to see and you will need a long 13mm socket to get at it.

If yours has moved well out of position it might take a few tries to get it in the right place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, just looked and tried to tighten the nut but no movement, I think because I have non (except 2nd) that it may be a little more. Had the front panel off in the cab under the gear-nob to see if anythinf loose/unconnected there and it all looks fine as far as I can see. Could be a cable snapped inside its cover or something more complex???:confused:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get a helper to move the gearstick while you check the selector bracket. If the bracket moves but doesn't turn your selector shaft then that's your problem. £40 fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does move but doesn't turn do it is one of the cables! Great yet another van on the road hopefully through your help! Many thanks ggalla!!A:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all (and ggalla) cable seems to be working,neautral easily moves back and forth (once I struggle to get it to the position), can select 2 and 4th with a struggle but no other gears. If I can select (but stiff - so stiff gear knob has split!) is it the cables? Or is it the gear lever selector??:*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts