VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. As I said on my introducing post, there'll be lots of silly questions as I'm far from a petrolhead.
First, I'd like to apollogise for yet another post about lowering springs, but I couldnae find a post with answers to my question. If you could redirect me tothat (or those) posts that'd be great but there's no need for being rude or patrnising.

So.......the question is: can our van be lowered without need of any bodywork modifications?
The main issue here is thatthe wheels stick a wee bit out of the bodyworkI: as you can see here:

And here with more detail. Front:

Rear:

This is the wheel size:

the rims are 9.5J with an offset of 45 (not sure of that a 100%) and they have 20 mm adaptors from 5x112 to 5x110. All this leads to a tiny clearance between top of rubber and wheel arches as you can see here, front:

And rear:

The question is simple: can the van be lowered without rolling/cutting/trimming/bending the bodywork?
If so, how much? 45 mm? Eibach 45 mm drop springs seem to be the best option, or could I go for a bigger drop without rubbing the tires and damaging the van?

Please bear in mind that I'm not a mechanich or a 19 y/o racerboy. Just a family man wh likes to have some style:D:D:D:D:D:D so mods on the camber and things like that are out of the equation at the moment.LOL:

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
You have several options with regard to springs, but personally I would be more concerned about the load rating of the wheels and the quality of the adaptors. Although I am sure your insurance company must be happy; as they have offered cover with those modifications, and I guess the new ones you are proposing ..................... don't forget to declare everything, cover your ar$3; and stay safe T:T:

Very low and 18" wheels does not generally make for a great ride :eek: You mention geometry changes ................. well the wheels and adaptors have already done that for you, not necessarily for the better either LOL:LOL:LOL:

Just remember any 'rubbing' at the time of MOT should be a fail, (depending on the testers eyesight) ;)

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
You have several options with regard to springs, but personally I would be more concerned about the load rating of the wheels and the quality of the adaptors. Although I am sure your insurance company must be happy; as they have offered cover with those modifications, and I guess the new ones you are proposing ..................... don't forget to declare everything, cover your ar$3; and stay safe T:T:

Very low and 18" wheels does not generally make for a great ride :eek: You mention geometry changes ................. well the wheels and adaptors have already done that for you, not necessarily for the better either LOL:LOL:LOL:

Just remember any 'rubbing' at the time of MOT should be a fail, (depending on the testers eyesight) ;)
These young uns can withstand greater vibrations than us old [email protected] ;)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You'd be fine up to 60mm,i used to be 60mm on 10j rears with no rubbing issues at all although without upgrading the shocks ride comfort will be compromised at 60mm,I'm now 80mm and only get rubbing if three of my mates are in the back and I go over a decent bump T: p.s. I do have a pair of 40mm(or 50mm if you fit lowering plates) eibach springs sat in the garage if your interested?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'd be fine up to 60mm,i used to be 60mm on 10j rears with no rubbing issues at all although without upgrading the shocks ride comfort will be compromised at 60mm,I'm now 80mm and only get rubbing if three of my mates are in the back and I go over a decent bump T: p.s. I do have a pair of 40mm(or 50mm if you fit lowering plates) eibach springs sat in the garage if your interested?
Cheers mate. How much would you ask for them?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
£50 plus postage,if you are interested I'll send you some photos,I've done 40/50/60/80mm and it all depends how much you rate ride quality,40-50mm and you've still got a decent ride,60-80mm on stardards shocks and the front is bouncing all over the place, your crawling over speed bumps and dodging pot holes but it does look good,T:T:T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
Looks like you've fitted the "Rot Inducing" trims on the arches.....:eek:

You've got loads of clearance.....when MY van is loaded, I can only just get my fingers between tyres and arches!
45mm lowered, with correct shocks to suit.....never had a problem.

I'd NEVER consider 18" wheels though....17 are bad enough for a "comfortable" ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there. What do you mean with rot inducing trims? Are they trouble?
Thank you.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
Unless you bond them on, with PERFECT sealing to the metalwork, they hold moisture and make the arches rot 10x faster than normal (and they DO rot as standard!!!)

I've had a set of stainless steel ones for 4 years...still haven't decided to fit them due to the horror stories of people using the clips or the screws to fasten them.
Only way I'll fit mine, after de-rusting the arches and painting, will be with Silastik or similar bonding material, the same used for bonding the body panels when fitting windows into a "van".....and once fitted, will be a pain to remove! :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oooops. Didn't know that. I know the arches do rot (that's why I fitted tge trims) but this changes things...a lot.
Thanks for your advice folks!!!!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,383 Posts
Oooops. Didn't know that. I know the arches do rot (that's why I fitted tge trims) but this changes things...a lot.
Thanks for your advice folks!!!!
And that is how we learn things!
I "really" wanted the S/S trims to match the sidebars....but after reading on the forum....they just sit in the garage!

I HATE bodywork, but someday I'll get around to cleaning the "bubbles" off, prep and paint, and then BOND the trims on.
My only thought about that is, a "minor" scratch on one of them, and it's gonna be a PAIN to fix! :eek:
Not sure they even sell them as singles.

Covering the rust up just makes it eat into the metal faster. (Not quite true, it just delays the time for you to see there is no metal left!)
That's why Hammerite paint (that they claim you can use on top of rust) just makes the "worm" eat faster.....Gotta KILL the worms 1st. T:

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
(and they DO rot as standard!!!)
Gaz they can rot if people let them, usual cause is not cleaning the wheel arch lip where the road 'crud' collects. I guess fairly standard practice for 'buliders vans' ;) But you are so right, arch trims and indeed front mud flaps just help speed up the chances of it happening :eek:

I've had a set of stainless steel ones for 4 years
Not started the little part time drug dealing job yet then Gaz ...................... you really need an old 5 series BMW with SS arch trims for that game; the T4 is not much of a getaway vehicle LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
reckon you would struggle with a 60mm or lower drop on that set up and tyre size..

Just go for a 40-45mm good quality spring and will be fine
Cheers mate. I'm probably going to try Eibach 45 mm springs, which will probably give a bit less actual drop.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
£50 plus postage,if you are interested I'll send you some photos,I've done 40/50/60/80mm and it all depends how much you rate ride quality,40-50mm and you've still got a decent ride,60-80mm on stardards shocks and the front is bouncing all over the place, your crawling over speed bumps and dodging pot holes but it does look good,T:T:T:
I may be interested in them. Could you please send me some pictures?
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts