VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, which may be stupid, but a question none the less...

Can one remove the weather seal around the front windscreen like you can on the rear barn doors, or tailgate glass? Does it actually contribute to the watertightness of the screen, or does it just tend to harbor moisture and create rust?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I`ve been thinking about this one myself I want to respray my van and hate the idea of just taping up the seal and painting upto it that just looks naff I might just cut mine out then when spayed fill with black silicone using silicone tools you can get a nice neat finish with them

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
yes you can rip it out and bin it,just done mine on the tailgate to fix a bit of rust and it was soaking wet in behind it T:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It is not bonded, it just slots over the edge of the screen, its held in place by the aperture.

Sometimes excess bonder will squeeze out when a new screen is fitted and stick to the seal, but this is only generally on a non factory fitted screen.

You can pull the seal off but you will struggle to get it back on properly and looking good.

When painting you can insert wire under the seal to lift it and then mask the seal up so you can get paint under itT: Fiddly but works.

Whether or not it does anything.......can hide moisture and rust but also helps keep water and dirt out - possibly it hides any excess sealer and any primer that would be visible through the gap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I`ve been thinking about this one myself I want to respray my van and hate the idea of just taping up the seal and painting upto it that just looks naff I might just cut mine out then when spayed fill with black silicone using silicone tools you can get a nice neat finish with them
That's kinda what I was wondering about. I just wanted to know if the seal actually seals the windscreen from water ingress, or if, since the windscreen is bonded, just is cosmetic? Partly I want to know before I cut it off to inspect for a leak, as I don't want the leak to be worse if the seal is important and I chop it off!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not bonded, it just slots over the edge of the screen, its held in place by the aperture.

Sometimes excess bonder will squeeze out when a new screen is fitted and stick to the seal, but this is only generally on a non factory fitted screen.

You can pull the seal off but you will struggle to get it back on properly and looking good.

When painting you can insert wire under the seal to lift it and then mask the seal up so you can get paint under itT: Fiddly but works.

Whether or not it does anything.......can hide moisture and rust but also helps keep water and dirt out - possibly it hides any excess sealer and any primer that would be visible through the gap.
Ahh, typing while you posted this.

So if I pull the seal off to inspect for the leak and any rust it wouldn't void the seal around the windscreen, right? And I wouldn't need to put it back on? Thanks! T:

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
there are also topics where people have removed the trim to add some rust treatment and can not get it to refit.

it is part of the screen fit and is held in by the screen adhesive.

pull it out but dont expect to get it to fit again.

Like I said i have just had a screen replaced and was there the whole time as i was one interested and also needed to provide extra light in the stable as it was very wet out side. (Dec 27 2012)

if i was to pull it out and then sort the rust out i think i would then be playing with the sicka flex or tigerseal and forgetting the trim.

but that would lead to more work later with the cheese wire when the screen needs replacing.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
it is part of the screen fit and is held in by the screen adhesive.
I'll say again it isn't held in by the adhesive. Adhesive goes on the glass and does not touch the seal unless excessive sealer has been applied by the fitter (this is usually when you can see adhesive from inside!) The reason the seal is hard to refit is that the window sits in a hole (aperture) and this stops you being able to fit the seal back on properly as the seal is fitted around the window before it is fitted and needs to be pushed on quite well which is hard to do when the window is fitted.

The seal is designed to keep water out but isn't a great design as it also traps water, it is the adhesive that actually forms the water tight seal around the window so if you remove the seal it wouldn't make that much difference. I would not fill it with Sikaflex or the next time you have the window replaced you will wreck the van, that's if you can find someone who will do it in the first place.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
ok i have removed my trim too and as stated it is not glued in, i have rubbed it all down treated with acid and then primer etched it repainted and left the seal/trim out, it far easier to keep clean any water that get in has a chance to dry out in the channel, with the trim in it, it get dirty and water sits there rotting away your metal work, i am that happy i too have removed the ones on my barn doors as the same was happening here and to be fair it looks ok without it,i know for a fact im never gonna refit either of these trims to my van,as also stated do not fill with silicone etc etc as new glass will be a pain to fit

·
Registered
689 Posts
yea it's deffo not part of the screen fit and if it's stuck in that's because too much sealer has been used on a refit and if you remove it and get leaks then not enough was used, start at a corner and pull it up it becomes obvious when the window sealer has bonded to it as it pops out quite easily otherwise

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
to be fair i managed to cut/trim most of the rubber bonding out that was visible, im this job doing today those photos where today so i will take some more when fully finished

·
Registered
449 Posts
I removed mine to respray and treat rust. It was awkward putting it back in but it is possible. If i left my windscreen seal out it would look really untidy.

Also with it out you might get wind noise when driving on the motorway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts