VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can you retro fit air con as its something i require and trying to find a van i like in the spec i like in a colour i like:bhd:bhd:bhd:bhd:bhd is proving somewhat hard so im wondering if it would pay to buy with out air con and then have it retro fitted.

Anyone done this???

Many thanks and if this is in the wrong bit sorry, Didnt quite now where to put it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yes it can be done, I know one of the T4 guys did it, have a search and there's a full write up on how he did it etc.

Once you've read it you'll understand why no one retro fits aircon and how much of a complete ball ache it is to do. Modern aircon is quite often entwined with the ECU so it gets very complicated.

So in answer to your question, yes it can be done, but you won't find anyone to do it for you, even if you could it'll prob cost more than the vans worth, and you have to be a nutter (no offence) to do it yourself as it's soooo complicated

Altho I could be wrong

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, think i will stick with finding one with it then, £1800 will buy a better van with it me thinks.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
AIRCON !! Are you thinking of driving it somewhere hot then Rasp: nah only joshing, my wife from as far south as you can go thinks us brits are bonkers for wanting it in this country.

Purely by chance though, our new red van has got it Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Air con, Use it all the time even in the winter. Ideal for demisting the car in the winter and keeping me and the dogs which i have 4 of, lovely and cool in the summer.

Thats why i need/want it and having had it in the last 2 cars and every digger/tractor i have operated in the past 15 years i cant do with out it now.Rasp:Rasp:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Easiest way and cheapest way is to get an inverter that turns 12v into mains power then buy a mains powered aircon unit and put it in the back of you van. This way you can use it for you van or your house. A:T:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
For us air con is pretty an essential as it has now become just about a standard fitment on all cars so we've got used to it - great in Summer especially with such a big windscreen and if you do venture South into Europe it's just so much nicer. I wouldn't consider not having it but a/c vans do carry a premium so the fitment cost might not be so expensive in relative terms if you find a good van without. Obviously it depends on how good a job they can do, or you might think it's best to hang out for an a/c van.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts