VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
CAN = Controller area network

System developed by bosch in the 1980's to connect ECU to each other, It uses 2 wires with a bus type network system.

most cars run more than 1 system,

Most have a
Powertrain CAN (upto 1MB speed) - Engine, ABS, Autogearbox, Airbag, Dash etc
Convinience/comfort CAN (upto 250KB speed) - Door locks, Convinience ECU, Dash, boot control, Central electric
Infotainment CAN (upto 125kb) Radio, Amps, Navigation, Dash

Older cars the dash is the CAN gateway where all systems connect together - eg T5
newer cars have a CAN gateway - T5.1

T5.1 also run a LIN bus system

Example:
Your driving along and put the wipers on, That signal is sent from the steering colum ECU round the BUS, The central electric unit picks this up and powers the front wiper motor (also the rear ECU logs the front wipers are on but does nothing about it)

You then stop and put it in reverse, this gets sent round the CAN network , the rear ECU sees you have the front wipers on and you have engaged reverse so does a sweep of the rear wiper for you :D

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAN = Controller area network

System developed by bosch in the 1980's to connect ECU to each other, It uses 2 wires with a bus type network system.

most cars run more than 1 system,

Most have a
Powertrain CAN (upto 1MB speed) - Engine, ABS, Autogearbox, Airbag, Dash etc
Convinience/comfort CAN (upto 250KB speed) - Door locks, Convinience ECU, Dash, boot control, Central electric
Infotainment CAN (upto 125kb) Radio, Amps, Navigation, Dash

Older cars the dash is the CAN gateway where all systems connect together - eg T5
newer cars have a CAN gateway - T5.1

T5.1 also run a LIN bus system

Example:
Your driving along and put the wipers on, That signal is sent from the steering colum ECU round the BUS, The central electric unit picks this up and powers the front wiper motor (also the rear ECU logs the front wipers are on but does nothing about it)

You then stop and put it in reverse, this gets sent round the CAN network , the rear ECU sees you have the front wipers on and you have engaged reverse so does a sweep of the rear wiper for you :D
that my friend is a fantastic response.... so does this make electrics a lot harder to modify I.E stereo amps and extra lights in the rear of a van e.t.c.

·
Registered
536 Posts
that my friend is a fantastic response.... so does this make electrics a lot harder to modify I.E stereo amps and extra lights in the rear of a van e.t.c.
It depends?

Items designed for can-bus systems can be very easy to fit. Because the CAN bus system can save you connecting a lot of wires.

Fitting older electronic items into a can bus system can prove to be more difficult

Here a picture of a 500kb Vw powertrain can bus system on a scope,

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends?

Items designed for can-bus systems can be very easy to fit. Because the CAN bus system can save you connecting a lot of wires.

Fitting older electronic items into a can bus system can prove to be more difficult

Here a picture of a 500kb Vw powertrain can bus system on a scope,
that makes things about as clear as mud.. havent got a clue what you have just showed me.......................
can i fit my vsr split charge, leisure battery, amps, and speakers, and lights in the back without causing any problems....?
im ok with fitting electrics in standard vehicles but this canbus ( canofworms ) just throws me...

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
that makes things about as clear as mud.. havent got a clue what you have just showed me.......................
can i fit my vsr split charge, leisure battery, amps, and speakers, and lights in the back without causing any problems....?
im ok with fitting electrics in standard vehicles but this canbus ( canofworms ) just throws me...
Think of CanBus as the vehicles nervous system, its what it uses to pass and receive messages to unlock doors, turn on lights use the cruise control etc.

If all you are doing is installing a split charge relay and LB with an amp and a few lights then there is no reason to worry about CanBus, it may raise its head if you install a new stereo head unit but there is loads of threads about how to sort that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts