VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above no spark new battery tried every thing, the van is in fantastic condition body work wise 69800 on the clock lowest I have seen brand new kitchen hob £250 New rock and roll bed new floor I have spent far to much time and money on this van previous owners spent a small fortune but causing me the will live would anyone be interested in this

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
Try advertising in the Classifieds section.....that's where people sell things.

Can't you find a decent mechanic (old school).....a 1993 petrol is not exactly latest technology.
Chief suspect would be the distributor.....possible the most testicle part of the system.
Parts are scarce, but not impossible to source.
Do you have fuel coming to the engine? (NEW fuel....any petrol over 2 years old will be down on the RON rating!)

All you need is petrol, air and a spark (assuming you have compression), and it should go.

Try a can of petrol, above the engine height, and a pipe running into the system.

Unless you have a heart condition (in which case get your least favourite relative), take a spark plug lead off and hold it.
Crank the engine at least 3 seconds.
IF a spark voltage is there, you will feel a "tingle"....OLD SCHOOL ignition testing!!!

As a "non-runner" petrol, 90% of people considering purchase will want it CHEAP, and stick a 1.9 TD (i) in it.....or be willing to pay for LPG conversion (£?ssss)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers an old school mechanic sounds the way to go tried two rac mechanics and few others , and every body points to the distributor , I have checked the ignition wiring , new coil The hall sensor seems be working ok checked the all relays, had ecu out the wiring loom is fine checked all fuses full 12v on all ignition components there is petrol in the tank when I turn the ignition I hear the pump working relays pull in ( checked relays independently ) but still no spark like you say this is low tech stuff, I might put the old ignition coil back as its Bosch the ecu could be knackered but told not to be to hasty changing that as they are expensive

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
ECU should not be too expensive, but they are quite "rare" in UK.
Canadian/USA(?) website/forum may the way to go.....BUT....I need to remember the guy on here "Steve127" (?) who imported a few petrols from Japan and converted to diesel 1.9 TD....
He also converted from auto to manual.....so "maybe" the ECUs he has won't be suitable.
I'll try to contact him.

You have to remember, RAC/AA "mechanics" are trained to minimal levels, SOME are "old guys that needed a new job",and they could probably understand, but most have almost zero idea unless their computer shows them a fault!

Example: I had to call a breakdown service whilst on a UK visit....reported it was a T4 2000 2.5TDi AUTOMATIC and I couldn't select any gears....the "expert" turned up with a new clutch cable (For a T4!?!?) to fix my AUTOMATIC problem....
Turned out it was a simple switch problem in the gearbox...that "magically" cured itself next day.....I still had the switch replaced before my 2500km drive home!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a petrol, but at the same time, no point selling it for 500 quid as a "non-runner", when all it needs is an "old git" that remembers the system, to fix it. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure i would not sell as a non runner because of the condition of the van inside and out i am going to check out a garage what has been recommended to me the lpg conversation may be worth looking in to people have been very helpful someone sent me a all the ignition details from Canada thank you for your help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure i would not sell as a non runner because of the condition of the van inside and out i am going to check out a garage what has been recommended to me the lpg conversation may be worth looking in to people have been very helpful someone sent me a all the ignition details from Canada thank you for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts