VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paintwork on my van is really bad, one side is blue and rust, the other is blue and rust covered with hammerite (which is lighter blue). There's a fair amount of dents on it too.

So what can I do. I don't want to make it immaculate just slightly less grotty than it is now. I'm tempted to go for the military paint like this thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15528 and my girlfriend reckons we just buy a load so rattle cans in various colours and graffiti it!

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd seen that but it looks like it takes quite a long time. I've not got a garage or a drive and the van is my only way to get to work during the week.

The final result does look good, maybe it's possible to get an 'ok' finish with a few coats over a weekend.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
rub it all down fill any little dints and then find a really good graffiti artist to go over the whole van in a surf theme!

seriously i bet if you asked around and advertised youd find someone who'd love to do it for free or very little £ss!

if i could spray id love to have my work on someones van!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
20 years ago I brush painted my 1303s beetle in black Hammerite (hammered finish)

everywhere I went in it people asked about the paint, it actually looked great even though I only really did it for a laugh :D

It went to the scrapper a not long after but that was more to do with the massive fire rather than the rust !

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This was my second attempt at doing the green where I took a full day instead of a morning. Worth £35 for the paint, £75 odd for the compressor and a weekend of my time. Reckon if I'd kept it I could have colour sanded it back to a pretty good finish.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that looks 100 times better than mine at the moment so might give it a go! I'm thinking about black.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The time taken to actually spray the van would be a few hours, it's the prep work you have to get right.
I appreciate your not bothered about a perfect finish, but one thing you can't do half hearted is the prep work, especially the rust. It needs sanding back to good metal and treating and prepping properly, otherwise your new paint job will look ok for a couple of weeks at most at which point the rust will start to come back through.
Also if its been hammerited, spraying it with proper paint can make it look worse if the paint reacts with whatever has been put on before.
you need to sort the bodywork properly and if its had suspect paint added id be inclined to give it a coat of uniblock isolator to avoid any reaction with old paint before spraying.
The chances of you mixing your paint to get a glass finish is highly unlikely for your first time, the first car I painted had alot of orange peel but thats not the end of the world, it just means more time flatting back to give you the finish your after.
Even if you go the graffiti route, getting the rust sorted properly is key.

Some pics would be good to see how bad it is.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
oh dear god...

no money and want to paint the van.... then esp in Black A:A: sorry but you just made my day.. I do paint work

Stay well away from black if your doing it your self..

you want a new paint job then you either have to save or get your self some paint and paint it on your self, wet sand it back with 2000 and then hope you don't cut a corner then get a polishing mop and G3 G6 and G10 it and then a hand wax.. you will get ok results but your looking at 10 days solid work

as stated the painting takes 20 mins at tops... it's the prep work

good luck anyway.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Painted mine with rustoleum, started at 7 in the morning sanding before painting the first coat and was asleep on the sofa by midnight. Did another coat the next morning

Before

after

Not the best job I'll be the first to admit but I like it, thinking I'm going to sand it back with 1200 grit & give it one more coat. Still got the door shuts to do aswell, I even did the mirrors, bumpers & engine tray. :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's not too bad a job!

The before is the same colour as mine but in a lot better nick!

To be honest I'm just building up ideas, I want to do interior things first then maybe think about painting it if I can find a cost effective way to do it. The van's not worth the amount a pro respray would cost, maybe it's not worth doing at all.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Maybe think about replacing the worst panels with better ones from the scrappers??

Bonnets, doors, front wing etc. easy to swap for a good condition one. Find someone breaking the right colour van and you could be in business if its good nick

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Find a set of the best alloys you can buy, get it lowered (v cheap & easy- plenty of threads on here) just keep the rust and do the Rat Look thing- some Tiki heads/ some stickers on the windows and it'll look great!
The Aircooled boys have been doin it for a few years with their busses and winning shows with the rustiest vans youve seen (sorry- i mean "Patina'd lol )
Sorted T:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
primer grey rattle cans and red pin stripe some scolops down the side and a red pin stripe maltese cross on the rear quater slam it paint you steel wheels red T: and put the all important stickers on it im lucky with mine cause it has a nice pearlesant paint job but im seriously thinkin of going down the grey and red pinstripping route T:T:T:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone got any good pics of the rat look? I like the idea but all I can find are really extreme examples or silly ones of other types of van.

It's already got alloys (need a clean tho) so just some lowering to do!

·
Registered
62 Posts
paint roller and blackboard paint . saw a honda civic like it ( i know not a van and yes i know its a honda) but it looked pretty cool . guy leaves some chalk on the roof wherever he parks so people can draw on it . RTTS in big white letters on the back door next year maby???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts