VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on here so bear with me.

Got a 1994 T4 2.4D Caravelle, all been good up to now, 130K on clock.

Drive to work yesterday, came up to a roundabout and wouldn't change down, veered off and managed to get 3rd after a struggle and limp it to work.

When parked without engine running you can select all gears perfectly.

Went back to it later and managed to get reverse, clutch was OK, managed to select 1st and drive off normally, got 2nd, then 3rd, came to change down and wouldn't go down again :) lever felt like it was hitting a brick wall.

Turned engine off, selected 1st, fired it up and got a sort of grinding noise and van was dragging forward slightly, did the same in 2nd. Eventually got it fired up and limped home, changed up from 3rd, 4th and 5th not too bad, a little lumpy, but changing down between 3,4,5 I had to give a blip on throttle to get the gears.

Any ideas? Gearbox (hopefully not), clutch plates, thrust bearing, linkages??

Please help, the velle is my only mode of transport now the Golf is off the road.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
First thing i would check is your Gearbox Oil . ;)

They struggle to function when they get low on oil and fry the 5th Gear . :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did check that, was a little low, took about 300ml to fill back up.

You reckon its done the box then? Do the other gears rely on 5th being functional to operate.

Also, if its just the 5th gear, does that mean I can fix just by removing end cover?? Maybe time to put a Golf 5th gear in and drops the revs in 5th :)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
If you can select all gears ok witht the engine off but cant whilst running id suspect a clutch fault or hydraulic fault.

how does the pedal feel?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pedal doesn't feel bad, perhaps less tension on it and I think biting point is quite a bit lower though when it actually works.

Not with van at moment but what can I check tonight?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi mate either way the box needs to come out so check the clutch first I've had them where the springs In the pressure plate break up which caused the same fault when hot. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I'll order a clutch kit and bearing today and fit at my mates garage next week.

Access to a four poster and gearbox lift platform thing should make things a bit easier :)

Just hoping its not the box.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, the velle is fixed :)

One of the pressure plate 'fingers' had broken and was causing the problem.

New clutch kit in, van drives better than ever, no more clutch judder under load, result!

Thanks all for suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts