VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read threads & seen the 4 second epic on You Tube regarding the removal of the window winder & all I can say is...IT IS NOT AS EASY AS THAT!!

I'm in the process of removing my passenger door card, though the window winder will not budge. The circular plastic clip has been unclipped, but the handle/winder - well, she ain't budgin' at all! I have some chrome winder replacements, but how do I get the bloody original plastic thing off in the first place? I may have to swear soon...!! :eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That it...
Once the circular plastic clip is released they should just pull off.

Mine virtually fall off once the clip is released.

Yeah, I see thats whats supposed to happen....but, mine wont! It is jammed on somehow. I think I may just have to persuade it with some pliers or something.......just hope I dont break anything..!!! :*

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I see thats whats supposed to happen....but, mine wont! It is jammed on somehow. I think I may just have to persuade it with some pliers or something.......just hope I dont break anything..!!! :*
Just tried the drivers side & its exactly the same, the round clip clips upwards easily enough, but the handle is stuck fast, it aint budging. Any ideas....? I can only think of tapping with a hammer & pulling away from the door....:*

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
i crushed my passenger side one trying to get it off. So i gave up and you're right the youtube video makes it look so easy but it isn't!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i crushed my passenger side one trying to get it off. So i gave up and you're right the youtube video makes it look so easy but it isn't!
As I've got chrome replacement handles, I'm not too concerned about causing any damage to the original plastic ones, but obviously, dont want to damage the mechanism itself - how did you manage to persuade them off in the end? Do you mean you crushed the handle getting it off? I've tried introducing a hammer to try to tap it free & also had the claws behind it, but I dont want to damage the mechanism, or my door card!!! Help...please...??!! :(

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
i crushed the circular bit behind the handle between my fingers, then the handle pulled off easily. Chances are the handle is age bonded to the mechanism. Try cutting the handle lengthways along the shaft part and then you will be able to split the join between the handle and shaft and it should just slip off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i crushed the circular bit behind the handle between my fingers, then the handle pulled off easily. Chances are the handle is age bonded to the mechanism. Try cutting the handle lengthways along the shaft part and then you will be able to split the join between the handle and shaft and it should just slip off.
Nice one, I shall give that a go. Seems a much more persuasive method that introducing it to my lump hammer!! ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SUCCESS!!!

It was actually very easy & didnt require any brute force or cutting..! The plastic handle had a snap on cover, which came away as I was pulling at the handle itself, revealing a screw. I undid the screw & the handle dropped away from the mechanism, simples!

The door card is now removed, has received a light sanding, clean down & a light, first coat of primer!! I must say that I am rather pleased with myself, in not having to destroy anything!! :D

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
out of curiosity what are the handles you are using as replacements? I didn't know there was an alternative to the standard ones.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Hmm they do look quite nice, post a pic when you've sprayed the card and fitted it all back on. tell us how fits too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have bought these little puppies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswage...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f101efc2f

I think they look quite cool, especially with my (soon to be) matt black door cards, chrome detailing, chrome door pull etc..... what do you think?
They dont fit! I have re-fitted the sprayed up door card & discovered that they do not fit, despite the ad stating they fit T4s...! How annoying - Ive sent a message to the seller & will see where it goes....back to the original plastic ones then! :(

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have just had the same problem. I brought the same winders but couldn't fit them. I was wondering if anyone had found an extension for the mechanism as its recessed behind the door frame. So disappointed

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Lack of knowledge again here guys, something i also found out, incidently, with the same idea, and a pre 96 van,,though i asked the same seller if they fitted a pre or post 96 van as the add wasnt clear, but other adds were, as in your example of t4srus T:

So to recap, the youtube video is for post 96 (t4b) winders where the winder spline protrudes the door card, many after market winders for these.

The pre 96 (t4a) winder spline sits inside the door card, i haven't fnd any chrome handles for these, if you do let me know!

If you really really want them, get some post 96 (t4b) winder regulators (i have a t4 a and b so will just swap them over if i cant find the chrome t4a ones) or you can fabricate some kind of spline adaptor? T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
SUCCESS!!!

It was actually very easy & didnt require any brute force or cutting..! The plastic handle had a snap on cover, which came away as I was pulling at the handle itself, revealing a screw. I undid the screw & the handle dropped away from the mechanism, simples!

The door card is now removed, has received a light sanding, clean down & a light, first coat of primer!! I must say that I am rather pleased with myself, in not having to destroy anything!! :D
Registered only to say thank you on this thread!!!! :D I was going nuts trying to remove this....wasnt working like on the 5s video and I was starting to think that I was too dumb for it! :)

So...I had to do exactly how VWebbo mentioned! Take cap out and then remove screw and thats it....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts