VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

This seems to be a relatively common thread all with slightly different symptoms.
During the last trip I've lost 1st and 2nd gear. I can still physically select them, but they feel like 3rd and 4th. 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse are all fine and feel/operate like normal. There's no sloppiness in the stick either.
I was able to get 1st and 2nd whilst the engine was cold (first 5 minutes) for a bit but this ability has gone.

Is this likely to be a bad selector rod within the gear box? Is this a big job for a good garage or am I looking at £££ and a new gear box?

Cheers

X reg 2.5 TDI T4 88bhp (AJT engine)

·
Registered
413 Posts
More than likely the nylon balls at the end of the selector rods have worn pal.
It's a very primitive mechanism that works very well until it wears. The balls cost peanuts & labour should be less than an hour. All these boxes have a tendency to work better when cold if your gearbox oil hasn't been changed recently. When the balls are worn things don't line up right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BingleyLion, I couldn't see that there are any parts missing so hopefully just worn. There's a definite movement in the stick between 1st and 3rd so like you say hopefully something to do with the mechanism. It's getting dropped off at the garage tonight so we'll see what they say

·
Registered
98 Posts
The other thing that happens is people try to adjust the pinch bolt under the gearstick to account for the balls being worn out.

When they change the balls this leads too more problems!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was indeed the big ball on the linkage. It looked like it had split in 2 but somehow was still attached tight.
Cheers for your advice and helping me sleep knowing it was unlikely to be a big job :)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,693 Posts
Simplest jobs are always the worst to diagnose.....that's why this forum is so good!
I would have posted earlier, but mine's Auto.....so all I know are the thousands of (useless to me) threads/posts I've read before.
My "morning routine".....OJ, coffee, pipe of tobacco, and READ every new post (in any section), on the forum.
Then check boring emails and news, etc..LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had this problem before and one of these nylon balls was kindly replaced by the RAC for me whilst on holiday in Scotland a couple of years ago. Haven't done much mileage since and first gear is sometimes reluctant to select. Is there another of these balls that may also need replacing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The end of the linkage I had the issue with in the engine bay is a T-shaped rod with a big ball on one end which slides between the two plates on the gear selector and then a smaller ball which sits inside a bush that's then fixed down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts