VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All
Please whats the lowest car park height barrier it sensable to use with a stock T5, I know the book says its 1.9m tall.
Most of the local carparks in Plymouth are 2m but never see any vans in there, ok saw one last week but that was the first in 3 years.
Basically don't want to bash it !
Please any thoughts
Rgds
James

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Most car parks have a "hanging" hight indicator, so just gently try it - if you touch the indicator it's simply hazards on & reverse.

A good excuse to lower the beast (if you actually need one !).

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I think VW specify 1990mm max height, But caravelles are a smidge lower.

2m is the limit I go to (Even though i'm lowered) maybe next time your going in just stop and have a peak at the barrier/van roof when you go in T:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
lol..

I know mine's a T4, but I aimed it at Poole car park height barriers (1.9m) and watched through the sunroof as I comfortably cleared it.. only to hear contact a few feet further back on the roof!

As you say, Hazards on and reverse..

one set of Eibach -50mm springs later, and I have a better ride, more positive steering and no issue at all in a 1.9m carpark anymore!

:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I always get a bit nervous going into indoor carparks, generally anything above 1.9m seems fine for me (T5 on 19" 45 profile).I: When im in Plymouth i use the Mayflower multistorie behind Cornwall street looks like its going to hit but when you get out and check there's at least 100mm clearance however there are a few lower points inside.

If in doubt get out and check, i had a bad experience a few years ago getting a Military landrover stuck in London a few years back.:eek:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Don't always believe the hanging height barrier, I cleared the hanging thingy going into IKEA at Southampton, then promptly smashed one of there signs on the next level up with the roof-rack on my old T4 I:

You'll be fine going into any 2M car park.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not much use for you specifically but a PSA all the same.

If you're in Aberdeen, all of the multi stories, except Union Square and College Street, are 1.9m or less.

·
Formerly known as marcus250
871 Posts
I scraped the top of our van at the back going into a low barrier carpark!

The van went in ok...close but ok with a passer by saying yep you'll make it.

On our way out the kerb drops slightly to road level and that made the rear end slightly higher and scraped the roof! Roof needs painting etc anyway but still annoying! :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts