VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few posts about these, but don't recall any real conclusions, so thought I would add some comments and photos :)

Been looking at the Caravanstore on and off for a while, as I liked the convenience of a Cassette wind-out Awning, but was not keen on the price, or the looks, and the Caravanstore seemed to be a good halfway option between the Cassette option and a pull-on canopy, like the Kyham Sun Canopy I already have.
Look at eBay intermittantly for them, and a few days ago found one for sale locally (where I am, 60 miles away is local!). Seller bought it for his caravan, then sold the caravan and bought a motorhome before he ever used it, and the motorhome awning rail is too high to be able to reach the awning to undo it. So eessentially a brand-new awning, plus the extra heavy-duty tie down kit worth another £25 included at no cost (plus a rubber mallet :D )
This is the specific awning I bought:
image_1 by David, on Flickr

This is the awning slid into the rail:
image_7 by David, on Flickr
The bag rests against the side of the van, but I don't think it will be noticably deterimental to the paintwork looking at the underside (it is designed to rest against it of course, so you would expect it to be designed in a suitable way)

This is the clearance I have from the bottom of the packed Awning to the sliding door as it opens:
image by David, on Flickr
Pretty close as you can see, and it works on my T5 as I have the awning rail mounted on the roof rail supports. If the rail was on the side above the door like many are, I don't think the Caravanstore would work without having to faff around each time you want to open or close the slider (and would also have to have the rail back from the cab door.
Some people like an awning on the 'other side' and in that case, the lower position wouldn't matter I think.

When the awning is deployed, the bag hangs down a bit and does snag the top of the slider if it isn't lifted out the way.
image_4 by David, on Flickr
I think I will attach a little piece of velcro somewhere suitable so I can keep it lifted it out the way, so a minor thing which I reckon will be easily sorted T:

So awning deployed:
image_3 by David, on Flickr
Feels like a quality product :)
The canopy rolls out of the bag and then the legs pull out from the end of the tube.
One half forms the legs of the awning; the other half is the support from the tube to the other end and drops into a rubber support in the bag and vehicle (but well protected).

The legs extend to quite a height!
image_5 by David, on Flickr
I don't think you would probably use the awning like this though. The reason they are so long is that the awning comes with leg mounts you can attach to the side of your caravan or camper and clip the legs in, rather then having them dropped vertically down. Not suitable for a T5 I would say however.

Only installed it today so bit early to have a final review, but these are my preliminary conclusions:

PROS:
Quailty, Solid Product
When packed away, smaller then a Cassette Awning
No van height increase when slid into the rail
Quick erection
Saves storage space inside the vehicle for an awning
Easily removable, so can be put into place when going away and stowed in garage or house the rest of the time.

CONS:
Fouls sliding door if awning rail is too low (this is probably the #1 Con for many conversions)
Not as quick or easy to deploy as a Cassette Awning.

Hope this is of help for anyone interested in this Awning :)

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Well I can say thanks for your in-depth consumer check. Looks just what I've been looking for (after tearing my hair [what's left of it]) trying to find such a thing under "Awning" and getting "Tent". Frighten me with a price please.

Cheers and thanks once againg. Tony.T:

·
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I can say thanks for your in-depth consumer check. Looks just what I've been looking for (after tearing my hair [what's left of it]) trying to find such a thing under "Awning" and getting "Tent". Frighten me with a price please.

Cheers and thanks once againg. Tony.T:
I paid the seller £140. Quite a bit less then the typical new selling price (around £250 or so). Used is a lot less if you find them. I was happy to pay more then typical used price as it was really a new awning and I liked the seller (I could tell from looking at his Motorhome he was the kind of guy who is very careful with his gear :) )

Lots of different lengths - mine is the 225. Probably just right for a T5. My T5 is a LWB - 225 could be tight on a SWB possibly? Check the length against your awning rail before commiting T:

Oh, there is a similar competitor product that might be worth looking at by Thule - the Omnistor I think it is called. It is usually a bit more expensive, and seems to have slightly better reviews and if I found one of those for sale at the right price, I would have gone for it, but right now more then happy with the Caravanstore :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Agree with your plus points T:...I've a 225 on a SWB and the length is just about right - I did have a 190 which was really too small.
Yes, my bag hangs down (!) when the door is opened....I just bend the bag back double and put a couple of clothes pegs in.
I wouldn't use it without a tie-down kit - to rely on two tent pegs at the bottom of the legs is just asking for trouble, any half-decent bit of wind will whip the whole lot over the van. :eek:
Don't take it off and store it when it's wet, open it out on the lawn and dry it out....and be careful when handling it when dry, the material is quite brittle and it's very easy to crease it, which won't come out. :(

·
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with your plus points T:...I've a 225 on a SWB and the length is just about right - I did have a 190 which was really too small.
Yes, my bag hangs down (!) when the door is opened....I just bend the bag back double and put a couple of clothes pegs in.
I wouldn't use it without a tie-down kit - to rely on two tent pegs at the bottom of the legs is just asking for trouble, any half-decent bit of wind will whip the whole lot over the van. :eek:
Don't take it off and store it when it's wet, open it out on the lawn and dry it out....and be careful when handling it when dry, the material is quite brittle and it's very easy to crease it, which won't come out. :(
The blurb I read on the Amazon listing kept repeating "anti-wrinkle". And I thought as it was mentioned so often, it is probably something to watch out for :D

I got the heavy duty kit with mine, with the massive pegs and straps with springs, which looked really serious, but got the standard kit as well, with the guy ropes and pegs. I like the way both clip into a purpose made hole in the leg instead of tying to a loop.

Do you tend to put the awning on and off the rail, or leave it in place for the "season"?

·
Registered
406 Posts
...it's so easy to remove that I only put it on the van when preparing for a trip...I do secure both ends with an allan bolt so that anybody else is deterred from removing it.
It may be anti-wrinkle when brand new, but exposure to the elements over time will gradually harden it up....another reason for not leaving it on the van all the time.

·
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is the main part of the heavy-duty tie-down kit ....

Amazon Pic...

Those pegs are about a foot long. The springs will allow some movement, and instead of a guy rope, they use a wide nylon strap which clips onto a metal bar that fits into the leg fitting hole.

Another optional part which the larger Caravanstores can use, but not the 225 or shorter can, is a central roof extension support that goes between end roller and vehicle/caravan. This would help sagging in the middle, especially in rain. I guess the designers decided it was not a problem with the smaller awnings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi, bit of an old thread, but wondered if you can tell me what type of awning rail you used to fit the Caravanstore awning with? I'm thinking about one for my SWB T5 but do't want to drill the van. Just Kampers sell one that bolts into the roof mounts, but requires a figure of eight adapter and i'm worried the Caravanstore bag will then hang too low and impede the sliding door.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts